Is this Costochondritis?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good afternoon folks,

I have been suffering from pain in the chest area for over two months now and have been to see the doctor on various occasions.

All blood test, ECG's etc are all coming back clear, but im still getting pain right down the middle of my chest and gradually to either side.

I am also suffering from bad anxiety and having pains elsewhere in my body along with twitching.

The pain in my chest is difficult to explain, but it feels like a warm sharp tingling feeling that comes and goes at all times throughout the day. 

Does that sound like Costochondritis

The doctor did give me anti-inflammatory tablets, but I was only on them for roughly 5 days, but it did not feel as though they were doing anything for me.

Hear from some of you soon.

Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi James,

That sounds like it could be costochondritis, but you need to get a diagnosis from your doctor. It's very frustrating, but it took me about 6 months before they ruled everything else out.

I was sent to a pain clinic, and I see the consultant there every 6-8 weeks. We have tried a few different treatments, so it feels painfully slow. The first thing he tried was a costochondritis block injection. I had a day's relief from the local anaesthetic, but that was all. He said it was diagnostic, because if it had worked it would have proved that it was arthritis. I am now taking a synthetic opiate and the pain is much better, but I am having side effects. I am not allowed to drive, and I have had to give up work, but if I was trying to go to work, I would struggle.

So don't give up, there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am looking to try a nerve block if the side effects of the tablets don't ease. I am told that they will find something that works!

Good luck!

• Posted

Yeah the doctor diagnosed me about a month ago with it, but the tablets he provided did nothing and they went down another route, but I believe it may still be the original diagnosis! 

Yeah ive got an appointment with the Rheumatologist in the new year to see what he thinks.

Hopefully the pain will subside as its brutal at points and I really cannot go to my work.

• Posted

Mine came on 18months ago after a couple of attacks of pericarditis caused by an injury to my heart and I have been in pain ever since. It gets worse at times but never goes away completely. I am relieved that it wasn't a heart attack as that's what I thought it was. I was admitted to hospital 3times in the first few months, but as I have a heart rhythm disorder too, nobody wanted to take a risk.

Now that I know that it isn't a heart attack it doesn't worry me as much, and that helps! I have been doing meditation to try to keep my heart rate down, and the pain nurse says it should help with pain management. You can try the Headspace app for free, and at least it won't do any harm. They also recommended yoga or Tai chi, but I don't think I managed that.

Hope you find something that works.

• Posted

Im not sure what happened with me, I just suddenly started getting a sore chest and numb arm, was taken straight to hospital and checked over but nothing.

I'm on Propranolol for the Anxiety, but I only started taking it yesterday, so not really feeling much of a difference yet.

Been doing a lot of deep breathing and having baths and also the hot water bottle. Its a strange pain, but hopefully ill get over this a make a full recovery.

Im getting a chest X-Ray in the next two weeks just to check things over there, but they think that it will be fine.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with it and then told I didn't have it by a physical therapist. She thinks I just have a musculoskeletal thing with my posture. I don't have constant pain it comes and goes but the cartilage hurts when I press on it and I get those pains less than I did when it first started but they are still there. I constantly worry and that makes the pain worse.

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Yeah my joints hurt at the bottom of my chest to press, but im sitting just now with virtually no pain.

On tablets for anxiety also as im having other symptoms around my body from too much anxiety as I was originally thinking it was to do with my heart!

• Posted

Hi James, I was diagnosed 7 years ago. Your symptoms do not sound like costochondritis to me. Do you have soreness to touch anywhere in your rib cage area? It varies from person to person.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.