Is this crazy insomnia normal for ativan withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

Just wanting some input and whether any of you have been through really severe insomnia for benzodiazepine withdrawal. I'm going on 5 days now with only 1-2 hours sleep. I am tired beyond belief and are having a hard time believing my sleep will improve. 

Have any of you been through similar issues coming of the benzos?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi mike 

I had it coming off quatiapine it was horrible how much were you taking a day ? 

• Posted

Hey Mike : 

It is normal to have insomnia when you are withdrawal from benzos but you should wean it off slowly , not cold turkey. What dosage are you on ? I was once on Ativan 3 mg and weaned off in 6 months . 

• Posted

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments

I have tapered over the past couple of months so I was on 1mg a day at night - tapered down to .5 for 3 weeks or so then down to .25mg for roughly 2 weeks then stopped just 5 days ago. I was getting some sleep on those tapers but not now. Guessing because there is no more in my system. Obviously, I'm thinking the worst now that I am not sleeping. How long do you think it would take to get some sort of sleep back? Can understand everyone is different but god this is hell haha. Sorry to hear that carl, how long did your insomnia last?

• Posted

1 mg that’s equivalent to 10 mg diazapam . I think you should go to your dr and tell him about the insomnia problem . From what I Have heard from my friend who tapered off lorazepam completely, she said she could get some sleep after 3 weeks of zero Ativan . But I guess everyone is different . 

Do you have any withdrawal symptoms ? 

• Posted

Hey magmag,

Withdrawals after the first 4 days weren't actually too bad. A little anxiety and shaking but noticed today I have been a little worse. heart racing, palpatations and slight chest pain but so far nothing unbearable. It's just great to he off the drug. Are you in a similar situation?

• Posted

Yes, I was. The worst thing is my panic attacks came back . That’s why I am on Valium now on 15 mg. Need to wean it off soon .
    • Posted

Thanks, I'm sorry to hear you've got panic back magmag. You'll definitely come through. Getting off those benzos is definately best. I have heard of people feeling so much better when the withdrawal is complete. It's just getting there is soo hard.

• Posted

I mean feeling good in what aspect . 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Posted

What was your dosage mike?
    • Posted

Hey Joe,

I was on 1mg per day but got down to .25 quarter of a pill over a period of 3-4 months. So finished 5 days ago. Just waiting to get some rest and sleep now but it is hard.

• Posted

How long were you on it mike ?
    • Posted

How long were you on before starting to wean I meant 
    • Posted

Hey Carl, I would say 5-6 months. Felt myself improving from the panic and anxiety around June so felt it was the right time. Unfortunately the symptoms I'm trying to escape have returned (to be expected from withdrawal) but no where as bad as I when i had the initial panic attack in December of last year.

• Posted

One other. Fluoxetine which I started not long after my first panic attack.
    • Posted

How many mgs are you on and how are you finding it ? I’ve recently just gone back on to it also I’m on 20mg last 10 days I’ve started 
    • Posted

Sorry to butt in but did u taper under medical supervision? Duloxetine is hell to get off but there are support groups esp for this drug.
    • Posted

Hey Carolyn, yeap tapered with doctors supervision. Down to .25 before stopping. Withdrawals aren't too bad so far just little sleep. Took promethazine last night and got 4 hours sleep so that's something. Will only use in emergencies though.

• Posted

Hey Carl. Yeap same as me 20mg. I aren't finding it too bad at all. I definitely think it has helped. I ideally would like to be off all drugs by the end of the year. Believe it's keeping the depression at Bay while going through this anxiety. Stay on it for roughly a year the doctors say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.