Is this drug actually safe?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I took 11 tablets as part of a pain management programme, which was just over a weeks worth and had the most horrendous reaction which has left me 'word blind' and other communication issues. Eyesight dropped, hearing  and other issues. I dropped in the following two weeks from a size 16/18 to a 12 and have been unable to replace that weight.

What appalls me is the way this drug is being freely used in the UK in comparsion to the USA where it is viewed very differently and there is a sub culture of lawsuits. Reading the information on the drug in the Federal Drug Agency it is unlikely I will recover.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm really concerned by your last sentence. That from what you've read it sounds like it is unlikely that you're going to recover. I have been on Topamax for many years and am in the process of weaning myself off it. It's going to take another couple months because as the drug modulates pain my pain gets worse as I reduce the dose.

I too have become 'word blind' (I love your description there). I forget faces as soon as I've seen them too which is incredibly disabling. So it frightens me very much to think that I might not have these capacities return when I finally get off this medication. I didn't know that would be the case. You're the first one who's mentioned this. I've recently joined up with "Lumosity", that brain training program that's advertised on TV and my performance results are SO appalling it just confirms how detrimental Topamax has been to my cognitive functioning. I couldn't get lower results. I'm hoping like hell that neuroplasticity is going to save me...

I really would be interested if you could provide me with a link for the information you read about the poor recovery prospects from Topamax.

• Posted

I would never go near the drug again as it nearly killed me last year.  I was prescribed it last May for my migrianes.  Yes it worked and I did lose weight and in my case that was welcomed, but then I started to get symptoms which at first I didn't associate with drug, sore throats a cough and ulcers on the mouth.  I went to 3 GPs who couldn't care less and kept fobbing me off, in the end I went back to my consultant and he took me off them immediately, which you're not supposed to do.  He suspected I had Stephen Johnston syndrome which can be fatal.  I had to have a series of blood tests over a few weeks and the wait for the results was agonising, thankfully I am OK but would NEVER go on them again, they are lethal.  I also had other symptoms like memory loss and eye problems but again didn't put 2 + 2 together at first.  I was also put on propanolol and amitriptyine and couldn't get on with them either so I'm back to where I started again.
  • Posted

This drug nearly ruiined my life. I thought I had dementia - the Dr. actually suggested I had depressive dementia - I couldn't speak normally, my sight was blurry and, worst of all, I had horrendous lethargy - so bad that I'd get ready for work, coat on and ready to walk out of the door and then would climb back into bed, fully clothed!! A most awful experience and I am angry the drs. all kept putting it down to the menopause and I was the one who decided to cut out the Topirmate as a last resort and within a day I started feeling better but 2 years on, I'm not totally back to normal - I just assumed I would recover gradually.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.