Is this early kidney disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place but for the past 8 months when I've performed a urine test I've had a trace of protein in my urine. I went to the doctor and it was positive for trace of protein but wen I booked another appointment and this time a saw a different doctor it was normal.  I looked back on my blood results and in  sep 2016 "I think" I had a gfr of 86 and in Jan 217 it was 81.  I know it's not considerably low but could this be an early sign of kidney damage also because I have protein in my urine? And could the protein in my urine come and go?  The doctor has repeated my gfr and my liver function and he hasn't sent off my urine as at the time it was negative.  I don't have diabetes or high bp or history of kidney disease although I was very sick in DEC 2016 with bloody diarrhea which showed I had severe inflammation of my intestines.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

One more thing he said u Could get protein in urine from high protein diet but wat if u don't eat protein or if u cut protein out?  Would the doctor go solely on the gfr?

• Posted

How old are you? 

Also, I would definitely not alter my diet to a lower protein diet unless prescribed to do so.

It's my understanding that there are several issues that can effect the protein in your urine. For instance, when my blood pressure runs low my protein is often in the upper end of the normal range. But when my BP elevates into the average or slightly higher range I will have elevated protein in my urine. 

So you should talk with your doctor about your results asking for a clear explanation.

Your eGFR is in good range. It, too, can fluctuate.

So do you have early chronic kidney disease?? First, I'm not a medical professional hysician so I'm not qualified to answer. But we do each begin loosing renal function due to natural aging at about age 40. That's why I asked how old you are. You may just be experiencing the natural, gradual decline in renal function due to aging.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Marj thank you for your reply I'm 41 and even though I haven't stopped eating protein I hadn't eaten protein for 2 days before the Dr performed my urine test which was normal.  I've had protein in my urine for the past 8 months I've done the test myself and everyday for a week I had protein in urine. I don't eat red meat but eat fish every day for past 8months or so.  Yes my gfr isn't that low but with the protein in my urine and a decline of 86 to 81 in less than a yr wondered if this is something to worry about

I'm still waiting for my blood results so I'll see wat my gfr is.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.