Is this feeling ever going to go away or is it just me

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with depression last May and have been on antidepressants ever since. I thought it was my job I was unhappy with but I'm still not back to myself even now.

I'm sick of feeling so low, down, worthless, and fed up. My cup is always half empty rather than half full and I can't escape negativity. All I seem to do is moan.

I'm 21 and surely shouldn't be feeling like this, I should be full of life and happiness.

I've had counselling and that didn't seem to do anything and I feel like I'm going to be stuck on Sertraline for the rest of my life.

I feel so alone even though I have the best family and friends I could wish for.

Any advice anyone?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hannah

One thing you need to understand it is quite rare for people to be on this type of drug for the rest of their lives.

Some people will be on these drugs for several months while others may take them again for the seond time then stop. The last group may need to take them for th rest of their lives. The greatest majority will recover with a possibe relapse.

You could try Relaxation techniques they seem t work for me, although I suffer a chronic condition that is very painful.

Your GP may have tapes for you to follow, or if not you can get books on Mindfullness. Try Amazon.

We are always around

BOB

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, I may give Yoga or something. I'm willing to try anything!

• Posted

Wow, I'm so surprised you are suffering like you are at your age. I'm 50 and was on sertraline for several months, and they made me worse. It was like everything was in black and white, and it also made me extremely short fused. I also felt physically ill all the time. The doc wanted me to stay on them, even though I told him they are not helping. so after the third time, I said I will NOT take them anymore, and need something different. He put me on Mirtazapine, which are much better, apart from the problems with weight gain, which I'm addressing.

If you don't mind me asking, are you having any personal problems, or anything else you can think of, which could be making you this depressed? Is there a history of mental health issues in your family?

Like you say, you should be bouncing with happiness at your age. Hope you get sorted out very soon.

• Posted

I think the medication has definitely made a difference as I was in an awful place last year, but I'm wondering if there's more to it than depression ie anxiety or maybe even something like bipolar. There are no mental health problems within my family other than an uncle who suffers with depression too. I really don't know what is making me so depressed or making me unhappy. I wish I did. Thanks for your advice.

• Posted

Hi I've been on mitrazepine since may and it's been terrible I've never felt so down having thoughts of self harming or even worse I've now got an appointment to see a psychiatrist it's so bad

• Posted

There's gotta be something then, if it's not clinical. Do you get on great with your family and friends, are you religious, and maybe feeling bad about what you do or don't do, which may conflict with your religion? I'm just clutching with straws here. Have a good hard think about your life. Do you feel you might be missing out on something?

Also you should definitely keep having your cbt therapy, it can take months, but it works for most people. My therapist has me balling my eyes out everytime! But she makes so much sense, and eventually, with the medication, I hope to feel great again.

• Posted

Maybe I need to go back and stick with it this time and hope it will work, eventually. I'm willing to try anything at all. Hopefully I will start to see a brighter side to things soon.

• Posted

its the depression thats making you feel this way and it needs addressing in such a way that it eases off,wether that be by medication,talking to people or by getting an endorphine rush through exersise of some description,but know this its not somthing that you are going through alone its something that is a world wide thing,now im not saying that it will make things easyier for you as its a pritty lonesome thing depression but just knowing its not just you that feels this way is helpfull,things do get easier with the right directio,STAY STRONG AND KEEP FIGHTING THE FIGHT MY FRIEND
  • Posted

I started suffering depression from the age of 18. I had a complete melt down and went to the doctor. Was put on fluoxetine. Had negative thoughts about harming others and myself. The fluoxetine and counselling did help me. After a few years I went off the fluoxetine and had to go back on them when life got extremely difficult for me. I recently have been put back on them but this time I feel worst and have gone from 20mg to 40mg. Since hitting my 30's I feel like things are getting to me more and I'm more stressed out. I'm trying CBT again and am waiting for councelling again. I hope you find you way and feel better soon. This site really has helped me realise that I'm not alone and that we should talk to family or the GP about our issues. Otherwise you keep it bottled up and that's not good. Cry if you need to cry, remember this is a sickness of the mind and these negative thoughts and feelings are making the anxiety worst. Keep your head up

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.