Is this gastritis or something else?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

This may be a long one so bare with me.

So I am 34 weeks pregnant and since around September time I've been having stomach issues. No shock given I'm pregnant, however this is like nothing I've felt before..

Early October I had a phone app with my GP, and he diagnosed gastritis and put me on omeprazole for 3.5 weeks. I didn't change my diet so the symptoms never improved. I rang again after my pills ended and again (by a different doctor) I was prescribed omeprazole and peptac and diagnosed with gastritis.. Although at first he did say rib flare. I'm 2 weeks into my tablets and have completed changed my diet. However not much improvement. My symptoms are;

Stabbing/burning/nipping pain where stomach is located.

Area around my stomach is sensitive and sometimes sore when I or an item of clothing touched it.

It can radiate to my side and back (although this has improved slightly).

I get a tingling/vibrating sensation where my stomach is, and it happens more if I'm sat a certain way or walking around.

I have no acid reflux, although I do burp quite abit.

I was constipated, but since changing diet this has improved.

My dad has gastritis and he has major acid reflux. My sister has celiac disease so stomach issues are common. Few have said it sounds like nerve damage, but the burning in my stomach feeling drives me insane. Anyone have similar?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hello Katie,

I have experienced very similar symptoms for the past 8 months. I had an upper endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis. I've been taking omeperazole and sucralafate for the past two months consistently, and my symptoms aren't getting any better. Now doctors are saying I may have IBS-C. I was then prescribed dicyclamine, tried it, and it made me feel absolutely horrible. I stopped it immediately! I will keep you updated if I find something that works for me. I hope you feel better!

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Yes my symptoms have improved now I've changed my diet and been taking the tablets. I'm only on 20mg of omeprazole, and I worry this won't be enough. Not sure can take more when pregnant. Does your pain go when resting or laid down? Mine goes completely. Do you get the tingling I've described?

I just want to eat normal again. It's horrible.

• Posted

They are sure that I have gastritis. But since the medicine hasn't been helping, they think I could have IBS as well. My symptoms are: stabbing pain (where stomach is located) that also radiates to my back, constipation, nauseous after eating, belching. Also, the pain doesn't really go away if I lay down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.