Is this GERD

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I’m 29 years old, female, and very overweight. This past week i’ve Been having pain/discomfort in my right shoulder blade/scapula mostly on my right side sometimes it goes left and on the right side of my sternum. I also feel discomfort the middle of my chest up to my throat and a constant need to burp and burp but doesn’t really relieve much. I have no bad breath, or bile or anything like that. Just like food or something stuck in my throat and right side of chest. My pulse has also been in high 90s to 100s doing nothing. Could this be GERD or something else

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try baking soda water to neutralize the acid to prevent damage to esophagus. Apple cider vinegar works well for some people. Whatever you can tolerate. Safe and cheap. 

I used to experience the same pain in shoulder blade area, usually right side.  I now have an extremely limited diet and it's gone. You can keep a food journal. Remember that some foods take up to 3 days to cause problems. 

• Posted

The symptons you describe very much sounds like GERD, mostly: the increased heart rate is concerning, and right-side discomfort in addition to increased heard rate is a concerning symptom. You can try home remedies for GERD, but there’s no substitute to going to the doctor and getting checked out, in case it’s sometging else (or in addition). 

Here’s the thing with home remedies: they assume a single issue, and assume a single solution. But what happens if it’s something else? Eosinophilic Esophagitis, Esophageal Dysmotility, H. Pylori, gastritis, Barrett’s Esophagus can all have similar symptoms and each has wildly different treatments. (OK, so technically Barrett’s doesn’t have symptoms, but if it did, these would be it.) And they don’t have to happen inisolation: you can have more than one. 

This said, from personal experience, if you know you’re overweight, work on losing it. And the best way is really to reduce your caloric intake. (Exercise is great, but the best exercise for losing weight is putting down the fork.)  I know it’s not easy, but trust me when I say: 

1) every pound counts: GERD, heart disease, cancer, and a whole host of other issues are affected by weight. 

2) the longer you wait, the harder it gets. 

3) the longer you wait, the worse this will get. 

Personal history: I used to be 324lb. I’m currently at 200lb. I still need to lose about 25lb more. But even then, there’s a vast difference between how I felt then and how I feel now. 

Don’t take over the counter PPIs or aclis reducers: go see a doctor. In the meantime, acid neutralizers like baking soda water, calcium carbonate pills, and even things like Gaviscon will hell with symptoms. 

• Posted

most likely it could be be GERD, Gastritis but Having been said Increase heart rate  ,chest pain radiating to neck ,overweight  better to go to Doctor  to Have ECG and cholestrol check   to make sure no heart issue and my previous experience  that syptoms can be present  like this in Gallbladder  inflamation .

but in order to out rule need full detail Hx  of present complaint  ,Family Hx , any medications u on .

hope it might help any question  happy to help

• Posted

I had similar problems ( though i am slim) . Endoscopy found esophagitis, chronic gastritis, barretts esophagus... also had all the tests done for heart disease and coronary artery disease.....all came back normal. 

see a gastroenterologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.