Is this GERD or angina?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 19 year old male. For almost a week I've been experiencing pain/discomfort in the center of the chest. The pain is usually mild and dull. It comes and goes throughout the day. Sometimes I feel gas buildup in my stomach. The pain is inconsistent with the gas buildup. It is there whether I have gas or not. The pain sometimes worsens with movement. What are the symptoms of GERD? Could it be angina instead? It occurs even at rest, but I've never even had stable angina before, so it is unlikely I'll suddenly have unstable angina. What are the treatment options? I've been taking Rabeprazole Sodium lately, but it hasn't improved my condition. I plan to see a doctor soon.

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

At your age, it is likely to be GERD which can cause intense chest pain which can be confused with heart problems. I have had this intense pain from GERD and the first time I had it, it frightened me because I didn't know the cause. I took painkillers, it gradually subsided. You could try milk which helps soothe the stomach along with your antacid. Gas build up can cause this pain too. If you are stressing about it, it will make the GERD worse and cause it to be continuous. Do not consider angina; it will only make you worry more, Instead, see your doctor, describe your symptoms and worries. Ask for a stronger antacid such as a PPI or a higher dose of the one you are taking. You will get reassurance from your doctor.

• Posted

Do you take any medication for pain like ibuprofen or aspirin? These can cause inflammation and discomfort in your oesophagus and stomach.

It could be costochondritis. Does the pain get worse when you press it?

I would think angina would be highly unlikely at your age and from the description you give it really sounds nothing like it. I have people in my family with angina and they wouldn't describe the pain mild and dull and just in the center of the chest. It is a very unpleasant feeling and when people have an attack, they look terrible and usually have breathing problems often sweating and going very pale.

• Posted

Thank you, I feel kind of relieved. The pain does not get worse when I press it, and I don't take anything like ibuprofen or aspirin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.