Is this Gerd or something more serious.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,  I am new on here and looking for some advice. I am on overweight lady and always suffered a little with heartburn but about a month ago I suffered badly with indigestion which left a pain in my chest. I went to the doctors who prescribed a course of omeprazole.  This seemed to do the trick and no heartburn. However since stopping them the indigestion/heartburn has returned as bad as before and I am now getting worried that something more serious is going on. I dont have any other symptoms although I do occasionally feel food going down.  Any advice welcome as I'm very scared at the moment.

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Feel you need to go back to your doctor. But try having small meals, chew your food well. Cut back on acid foods, good luck.
  • Posted

Hi sal I completely understand where you are coming from I have severe chest pain and arm pain as well as food coming back up nausea and other symptoms I couldn't believe it when they said gerd and lpr I thought how could I feel this bad with acid !! But I take lansoprazle 20mg and although it dulls the outright pain it doesn't cure it completely I still get little digging pains in chest and a feeling of something isn't right I'm waiting on more tests but on research I've done gerd can cause crazy symptoms I'm sure others will tell you there's I'm sorry I'm not much help just wanted to reassure you that you are not alone x
  • Posted

Didn't the GP say come back and see me when you have finished the course of tablets?  If they did the trick (they did for me) my GP sent me to see a consultant to verify that there was no other problems and confirm the diagnosis of reflux. He did that and now I am on the meds regularly.

Extra weight won't help as will foods that trigger your symptoms. I have given up some foods I like to avoid the pain although on the meds I can almost eat what I like.

• Posted

If you took the medicine as directed for the appropriate length of time and now that the prescription has ended the symptoms have returned there's the possibility that it could be more than acid reflux.  I found out that my sphincter is not closing properly causing stomach acid to escape and travel back towards my esophagus. I try to eat properly.  I've cut out almost every food that I "love" ;o\  But it was worth it not to have to deal with that burning, stabbing pain associated with GERD.  I do not eat after 6:30 PM - any and everything not to ever deal with that pain.  See your doctor asap and let him/her know what's going on and what will their "next step" in your care be?  Don't settle for medicine after medicine...you don't want the problem to escalate.  Wishing you the best of health...
  • Posted

I was prescribed  omeprazole, which I took for seven months. After the news reported how bad these meds are and the damage they were doing , if taken long term, I stopped taken omeprazole. After stopping I suffered so bad with all kinds of symptoms that I never had before. I still suffer, although not as bad. So sorry I ever took that med. Before taking I had occasional burping. I went to dr. for a problem with my vocal cord not heartburn. If you change your diet it helps.
  • Edited

Please don't believe everything you hear in the news about the dangers of certain drugs, they go through a lot of checks by the NHS before they can be prescribed.  If you have really bad reflux the acid can do far more damage to you than the possibility of what this drug might do in the long term.

do you travel in a car,  look how many people die or are injured on the roads every day,  but we consider it necessary to get around. 

There are many things we do in life which are way more dangerous than taking some prescription medication. 

• Posted

I totally disagree with this. For most people in the short term it is probably ok to take medication, but not as a long term thing if they can help it. Do some research and see the deficiencies you could acquire from having low stomach acid. Such as B12 deficiency. There is nothing wrong with someone trying to come off medication if it is not dangerous, it just has to be done in the right way when things have been corrected. Ask your doctor and they will agree.
  • Posted

Hi Sal, I take Lansaprozole for my acid reflux but recently it has not been working properly. It also turns out that I have a problem with my sphincter not closing properly so I am now also taking a 2 month course of a drug called Domperidone. It is supposed to make food go through your system faster so the acid does not come back up. It's early days at the moment but it most definitely does the trick. The reflux had got so bad I actually felt as if I was having a heart attack last week rolleyes
  • Posted

Hi Sal

I too am new on this board and suffer the same asyou and  a lot of others on here.  My throat seems the worst with constant burning.  Yesterday, I had an endoscopy and although it wasn't very nice they found a Hiatus Hernia and my sphincter isn't working properly.  I too take Omeprazole and it helps, if it helped you ask your GP for some more, at least it keeps the acid down a lot.  Also ask if it would be possible to have an endoscopy as at least it either puts your mind at rest worrying that you have something bad, or if they find something they will be able to deal with it.   I wish you a lot of luck and if you don't want Omeprazole again, try taking Gaviscon instead!

• Posted

Hi sal, sorry to hear you are feeling so unwell. Did your doctor tell you to come off the medication? When you stop taking PPIs apparently your stomach produces more acid to overcompensate for it having been suppressed. The best way to come off them is to come off slowly by skipping the days you take them etc. Also It could be that your LES valve is weak which is why you are refluxing and getting heartburn. Have you avoided the things that contribute to the weakening? Chocolate, alcohol etc.
  • Posted

after being on PPI drugs for years I have ditched them. Go for alkaline foods to reduce acid. keep the faith omprazole not fabulous for liver function and linked to dementia. check out Rudy silva good book and very insightful

• Posted

after being on PPI drugs for years I have ditched them. Go for alkaline foods to reduce acid. keep the faith omprazole not fabulous for liver function and linked to dementia. check out Rudy silva good book and very insightful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.