Is this GERD? Please help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I am new to this group.

My symptoms are as follows.

53 year old male.

No history of heartburn throughout my life.

3 weeks ago I felt a sharp burning pain mid chest that was fairly consistent.

No other symptoms at first, but then began to have sore throat, croaky voice, headaches.

Doctor prescribed Omeprazole (like everyone it seems!)

Since then pain has been intermittent - sometimes lower down, and occasionally in the back.

Strangely it seems to ease off at night and is never there first thing in the morning (is this due to food?)  It is worse around midday but before I have eaten.

More recently, I have started to cough to try and get rid of yellow or clear mucus on my chest - sometimes it seems to stick to the back of my throat or tongue (uncomfortable)

I often feel I have a lump in my throat or something is touching my tongue.

Generally feel lousy and very tired, and my chest feels tight.

No change in appetite or weight.

Am I correct in thinking these are GERD symptoms?

Any advice greatly received.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes these r GERD symptoms I am facing worse don't worry... take it easy don't panic..

• Posted

Sounds like it to me. I have upper back pain after eating. Heavy meals will also bring on symptoms. I also have to clear my throat, sore throat and mucous. I had to go to the hospital after s heavy meal. Had chest pains, felt dizzy. I had to see a cardiologist just to rule out any heart problems. So your going to have to start eating right. Alkali e diet. Look it up. It may help
  • Posted

Sounds like gerd but the meds should stop the symptoms if they don't check with the doctor. The feeling of a lump in the throat might be what is called globus sensation ( mind induced) and i read that when there is excess acid the body makes more mucus to act as a barrier. Best of luck keep well

• Posted

Change your diet and go to bed 4 hours after eating drink plenty of water avoid junk food
  • Posted

Hi Robbie, I would suggest to ask your doctor to send you for an endescopy and that should tell you what's going on with your stomach and oesaphagus. I too suffer with GERD and take 30mg lanzoprozole @day to counter acid reflux from my stomach up to my throat. The endescopies are fairly routine and commonplace for a lot of folk with stomach issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.