Is this good medical evidence or not?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've just had my pip decision of standard daily living component for 4years commencing in May. I was on DLA high rate and low mobility indefinitely. I'm. asking for a reconsideration. I suffer.with schizophrenia. I started a degree in 2005 with the Open University The criteria is students completeb 360 credits in 6 year to complete a degree. Due to my illness I've only managed 180 credits in 11years and had to cancel 6 modules along the way. I've had one to one support and had assessments for my needs to help me study. One of the assessments explains my difficulties in great detail. Wouldd this be useful for medical evidence? Or would it go against me tjem knowing I'm a student?Thank you.... Lee

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lee

Being a student has no affect on PIP.

What does affect PIP is how your condition affects you. Any assessment is potentially very good evidence especially if it explains the extra support you require. Without seeing the assessment and taking its contents in good faith I would expect it to be helpful evidence.

However, if the assessment evidence contradicts something which appeared in the original claim that could be problematic.

• Posted

I think it would be an excellent source of medical evidence as it shows your decline in academic ability and the fact that you were TRYING...you didn't just give up to accept medical benefits.
  • Posted

Hi tricky one this.  I would say if the assessment and one to one support has been undertaken by a suitably qualified medical professional then they would count it as evidence.  If not then you run the risk of losing what PIP you do have.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.