Is this GORD can it be hormone related?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just seen a consultant who thinks I have GORD.  I am confused as I do not suffer from acid reflux.  My symptoms are a wheeze, cough, difficulty in breathing.   I have a swelling above my vocal chords.  I have been put on a restricted acid free diet, gaviscon 4x per day and some Lansoprazole 2x per day.   I do cough up mucus.  Is this reflux?    I have read a few posts  could this be hormone related?   I have no other menopausal symptoms .....   Last few days my bowel movements have been more frequent ...... Help please.  Thanks 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, can't ans about hormores, but i do know that , reflux can do all sorts of odd things, it did affect my vocal chords for a while , it also gives me earaches/glands and headaches, acid reflux doesn't always give you heart burn it can be silent and come out in other ways

• Posted

Hi Julie thank you for your comment.  I am just reading up on peri menopause and think there could be a link.....thanks for your comments 

• Posted

thats ok, put on here what you find im heading towards that road my self and would like to know more out of interest, hope you find some help
  • Posted

Hi Sue 

Look up LPR - silent reflux - I have this as well as a hiatus hernia. I had a troublesome cough and had no idea it was caused by acid! I think the tablets you are on will effect your bowels - as they change your digestion with acid reduction. You should feel better in a few weeks, if not go back - thats how I ended up discoveing my hiatus hernia!

• Posted

Glenn,

A cough is one of the signs of acid reflux, so is wheezing and shortness of breath.

The digestive system and lungs are close neighbors.

I have been expressing lots of mucus and coughing. Since I already have a pulmonary diagnosis, I thought that was the reason.

I am in the mist of a ph probe test right night. Looking at my ph on the device of the test, it clear I have reflux because I have dropped to low ph and I do have burning, but it's on the right side, back and shoulder.

Acid reflux shows up different in everyone's body.

I plan to take the meds immediately after my test ends in the morning.

Randitine twice a day

One good thing, there is treatment available.

I plan to change my diet too

• Posted

Hi Dreaming!

I'm on rantidine twice a day too - on this after a couple failed PPI's! I have also done the ph test - but unfortunately the machine I used didn't give me any readings - only time and date - and suppine if I was lying down! So frustrating as I am still waiting for the results!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.