Is this gout or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I've been having some big toe pain for a couple of months now, the pain gets really bad but does lessen over a period of time but never really goes away. The pain stems from the underside of my big toe on the first joint (Dip Joint I think it's called) , the pain is more in the left of the joint nearer to the other toes rather than directly underneath the big toe joint. I have no stiffness or swelling just pain, I went to the doctors who are sending me for a gout blood test but say it's weird just to have pain without any swelling or stiffness. Does this sound like gout or any ideas what it could be?

Regards

David

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It doesn't sound like gout to me with no swelling. Or redness. I also thought it was in the big joint. But we are all different. The acid test will tell

• Posted

Thanks Jeff that's what I thought, if no swelling I doubt its gout and no stiffness probably not arthritis so I'm at a loss to what it is. Once we get the bloods back we can move forward.

thanks for your response.

• Posted

Yes, this is quite normal for gout. I dont show any signs either when i get even an attack yet, the pain can be unbearable with absolutely no swelling or redness. I'm usually given Indomethacin which works within 2-3 days. 

Dull pain gout is better than an attack, I get this too, when I eat more purines than what my body can handle. I usually drink dark tart cherry juice which calms it down and drink lots of water.

• Posted

a) it does sound like gout

b) it sounds like its time to change doctor. There is no point in doing a blood urate test until at least 2 weeks (and preferably a month) after the last gout symptoms have gone; the test is inaccurate during the flare, and could well show normal levels. The way to tell gout in your situtiaon would be to take colchecine which reduces specific white blood cless causing the problem. If colchecine works in a couple of days its a very good chance its gout. 

There are other possibilites, for example if you are very over weight, or certain medication could cause it.

• Posted

Thanks, I thought gout was on the 2nd joint not the first joint? I'm am slightly over weight and do drink beer so i am at risk however the pain never really goes away, it's a dull ache that can be really painful or not so bad, I thought gout came in attacks rather than a constant pain. My Doctor is leaving the surgery at the end of the month anyway so I'll automatically be assigned a new one so I'll discuss what you have said to my new doctor when I get an appointment. Thanks for responding. David

• Posted

I have never heard of not testing during a attack talked to at least 3 different Dr all tested me
    • Posted

The normal pain in the big toe (podagra), is typically on the big joint, (what would be the knuckle if it were on your hand. However I'm sure there is variation. Typically gout pain comes and goes, but for some people it can stay for weeks or months. Maybe your doctor should consider damge by another form of arthritis? An X ray would certainly help. Have you at some point ever damaged that toe?

As for the dull pain - some people have the agony form of gout - most of my attacks were rather the dull achey kind rather than agony.

As for being a regular beer drinker - that will certianly encourage gout.

Asprin is also bad for gout btw. The best apinkiller is probably ibufren as it is anti immflamatory too. 

What could help is to cut out all alcohol and drink waer - enough to make you urinate at least 2 litres per day (thats a lot of water cos we sweat and lose it through our faeces so you need more than 2 litres to pee two litres). Flushing the body through with water should help if it is gout, as the monosodium urate crystals can redesolve and be removed by the kidneys. 

• Posted

PS they can do a blood test to test for rhumatism I believe.
    • Posted

Then a) they don't know (they forgot what they were taught in med school on a boring afternoon on the one day they covered gout) b) they dont bother to read the guidelines given to them.

The NHS say It’s sometimes best to wait until two to four weeks after an attack of gout before this test is carried out, as the level of uric acid in your blood is often not raised at the time of an attack. This is because the level of uric acid in your blood can drop when uric acid crystals form in the joints.

However the NICE guidlines are more specific becuase I suspect most patients won't read it:

Follow up the person 4–6 weeks after an acute attack of gout has resolved, and check their Serum uric acid level.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I can't remember damaging that toe before so not sure what this could be, it's proper painful but with no stiffness, inflammation or anything only pain. I'll give up the alcohol and drink water as suggested and see if the condition improves.

• Posted

I must say that swelling and redness are somewhat typical of gout. Gout seems to manifest in different ways in different people, but I would not be surprised if it were not actually gout. The fact is though that these things tend to sort themselves out. I would not assume though that just because you give up the alcohol and drink more (healthy in themsleves), that just because it then clears up you had gout....it might be best to wait til it has gone and see if you have high blood urate. If not, I guess it could be some kind of rhumatism, but I know nothing about that..... lets just hope its one of these weird things that comes for a few weeks and just disappears. Good luck either way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.