Is this hay fever ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Looking for some help for the past 3 weeks my little boy of 5 has had continueous yellow snot pouring from his nose he also coughs all the time sometimes till he is sick he also says he is tired.he has seen 4 different doctors 2 said it was a virus and 2 said hayfever he takes antihistamine and now has a ventolin inhaler which ain't helping him his nose is so blocked he can hardly breathe.does this sound like hayfever he looks so miserable xxx 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear he is so ill and hope he is better soon. The ventolin inhaler has nothing to do with hayfever. The best thing for that is often nasonex but do not use it every day as it can damage the lining of the nose and erode it then. It is possible he has some sort of virus or infection and then neither of these would be the answer.Does he have it all year round or just in the summer?
    • Posted

Hi he has only had the snot for 3 weeks but the cough for 5 the doc said the ventolin would help his cough he did have a Nasel spray but because he is only 5 and autistic he didn't like it was getting very stressed about having it done so we had to stop I have all his symptoms bar the snot and they say mine is hayfever to which is particually bad today.i don't want to keep pumping meds in him if he hasn't even hot hayfever xxx 
    • Posted

Natural things which may help - nasal rinse - nasal rinse pump (which is easier to use and quicker)

Garlic drops and garlic spray up the nose, salt spray up the nose

Consider if it is possible he has acid reflux which is coming up and gong into his nose and causing this - if so it might also cause ears to get blocked. It can cause sinus and cough.

• Posted

In my opinion, it might be hay fever. Do any of you or your spouse have the same problem as hay fever is an inherited trait. Try to keep him away from pollen, dust, pollution. Change his clothes immediately after he comes from school. Make sure he washes hands before taking food. Splash his eyes and nose with lukewarm water. Saline water would help him get rid of nasal congestion. you can try it. You can also find saline water as nasal drops in drug stores. Also make sure he drinks enough water. You may consult a paediatric immunologist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.