Is this hives and what triggered it?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Last night, I started to itch incredibly and parts of my body were red raw. Within a couple of hours, I was red and blotchy from my shoulders to my feet. It was itchy and had a burning sensation and the there were raised areas like an insect bite. I've never had anything like it before.

I've looked up online and it sounds like it might be hives. It also says that hives can be brought on by nuts and chocolate among other things. I had a fruit and nut chocolate bar shortly before it started. I've had these tons of times before with no problem. Could this be the cause and, if so, why would it suddenly flare up? I've got some antihistamine but the page I read said that it can carry on for about 6 weeks. Any advice would be welcomed.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi

if the rash is still there, take a photo if you can. Best thing to do is see a doctor, keep a diary of what you are eating in case something flags up, how long the itching lasted, also things that have that might have come into contact with the skin so they can run tests and advise you on the cause. I wouldn't like to second guess.

You could put Calamine on your skin to ease the itching in the meantime.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.