Is this IBS?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I have had a problem for almost 2 years now.

It started off with me feeling really sick, loose bowels, bit off food for a few days.  It went then went away (I assumed I had a virus).  However it kept coming back, getting more severe and lasting for longer periods.  The nausea so overwhelming I struggle to eat, causing me to lose so much weight, even waking me up at night.  I also have more wind than usual.  In particular it seems to be right after my dinner at times, I begin to feel really sick and have lots of wind.  It can happen with anything I eat.  Some times I eat the same food and I am fine, and other times I am not.  My bowels are much lighter in colour than they use to be, really loose and sometimes the urgency to go.  When I am feeling really sick I can go several times. 

I have had lots of tests done in hospital (Barium Swallow, Endoscopy, CT Scan of head, MRI of small bowel, Ultrasound scan, Gut Hormone Test, H.Pylori test, Coeliac test, Thyroid test, XRay of Stomach - showed inflamation of small bowel), they concentrated mainly on my stomach due to me feeling sick however all tests have been negative. 

A doctor said it may be IBS however they have not even checked my bowel to see if anything else could be wrong.  Should they not investiagte my bowel before just diagnosing me?!  I was given Buscopan which didn't help me at all.  I do not have any pain or cramps or bloating or diarrhea.  I do not believe it is IBS!!  Help?!  Should they investiagate further?  What other tests could be done?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Colonscopy?

• Posted

Hi Mark,  Thank you so much for your reply.

I am hoping my doctor can refer me for a colonoscopy.  I am seeing them on Wednesday again this week for bloods to be taken.  I hope they can do this quickly for me!

• Posted

Hello,

Just an update on my situation. I had bloods done and it has shown up that my cells that fight infection are lower than what they should be (think this is my white blood cells), however my doctor doesn't think it is related to the nausea and softer bowels I'm getting but wants the bloods redone. I have handed in two Stool samples. One checking for infection is clear and the other for calprotectin which isn't back yet. I have been referred to the Gastroenterology department again and was told it would be them who would arrange a colonoscopy if they feel it is needed. So that appointment is next month so I am going to ask for it myself. As soon as I feel sick my bowels are all over the place! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Lorne

• Posted

Hi, I noticed that it was 9 days since the last post, I wondered if you had received your fecal calprotectin results yet, as i'm struggling with something similar and my levels were quite/very high but feel just awful today after another night in the bathroom, my referral to hospital has come through for January 

• Posted

Hi, yes I got the results and they were normal. Doctors did not feel the need to then do a colonoscopy. I have been started on new nausea tablets as they think it is something to do with an imbalance of serotonin levels causing me nausea and bowel issues.

I hope you are OK and get answers soon! I have struggled for over a year and a half and it is horrible. Good luck for January

Lorne

• Posted

Thanks Lorne

Had 5 awful days and have submitted another stool sample to be reviewed and see what my calprotectin levels are now, they were 600 at the last one!

Hope you go on ok too Merri

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.