Is this IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Have been having bowel movements which are thinner and softer for about three or four weeks. I must add at this time I have shingles. The G.P. says it is bis but I've also seen the same symptoms for colon cancer.

I am of an anxious nature and have been told I have ribs before but I usually get the pains but not the stool problems.

Please excuse the auto correct its ibs not ribs.

Many Thanks Heather

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Pain and stool problems go together with IBS.  Don't worry, Trust what your doctpr says and don't google symptoms bevause it will make you feel worse. Only a doctor can give you an accurate diagnosis.

• Posted

Don't know about your doctor but mine puts everything down to anxiety or irritable bowel. I am at an age where you worry about all the other things as they have similar symptoms.

I appreciate you getting back to me. Many Thanks

• Posted

You can go through periods of normal bowel movements but have only pain. with IBS. I get this most of the time.  Two weeks ago, however, after a period of stress, I had diarrhoea for three days and a week of loose, urgent bowel movements. My flare up did not begin with pain.

IBS symptoms can be very variable, no one flare up is the same.  Some people have pain predominant IBS.  Everyone is different. Anxiety and IBS go together. When my doctor asked about my anxiety levels he recognised IBS when taking into account my bowel symptoms.

• Posted

Definitely sounds similar to what I get and I have ibs.
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back too me.

The worry I get is that but for the past few weeks I have had Normal bowel movements and always just the sore stomach with the ibs. I look online and the same symptoms come up for colon cancer and cause I'm in my fifties and have mental health issues my brain goes to the worst opinion.

Many Thanks for getting back to me.

• Posted

You're thinking the worst, you need some reassurance off s health professional who undetstands properly.

• Posted

Hi i can relate to this having had thin or small stools for 8 months after semonella posioning.  (never had one normal one) I have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy which proved nothing. Doctor thinks its post infectious sibo (ibs).  So i've tried all sorts of diets - but still it persists.  No dairy gluten carbs alcohol.fruit.  So I've just introduced a few things back as i was continuing to loose weight and was scared to eat anything.  If the doctor thinks its ibs - it probably is. Anxiety makes it worse but you can always have a colonoscopy to stop you from worrying. cheers.

• Posted

Some people have all the tests and they still worry.  Teats didn't calm me down.

• Posted

Me too I've had all the tests but gluten but I tend to panic before any medical procedure anyway. That's the way I am, I monitor my health regularly myself. I worry when I get ill I find it irtitating and I get bored easily. Good luck with yours though.

• Posted

I have been a person who has had what I class as normal bowel habits but for the last four weeks that has changed to looser stools and feeling hot flushes as well. I asked the doctor what they thought it was and they say ibs. I have been told for many years I have had this'd but only the pain and none of the different bowel movements.

I would also like to add that I have shingles at the moment and don't know if that makes any difference.

Like you I monitor my health a lot because of health anxiety but must admit this has had me worried.

• Posted

Take the worry out of this and get this checked out.I now have s diagnosis which for me made my life easier. My mum doesn't understand but she doesn't live with it I do.

• Posted

I panic before medical procedures too because I often get bad reactions afterwards. 
    • Posted

Been to gp this morning and he said Labour an appointment to get scoped so something else to worry about.

Went on to forum to look at what patients have to say about getting scope and now I'm even more worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.