Is this IBS, diverticulitis, or something else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

have diverticulitis and IBS. I have bad pain in my lower abdomen right in the middle, gas, and bloating. I even have pelvic and joint pain. Also, I have pain in my mid to lower back. I keep googling all my symptoms and it could be like 10 different things. I'm going crazy worrying. I ate a doughnut today and that made the bloating and pain start again. I had horrible pain last night in my abdomen where I couldn't sleep much and I didn't even eat dinner. My pain seems much worse at night. Why is that? I posted this comment in a thread on a diverticulitis post as well.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried a gluten free diet. Gluten has a propensity to bloat. I would try gluten free and see if that helps. Good luck
  • Posted

Both your conditions could be causing your symptoms because they are very similar. Joint and back pain are IBS symptoms.  Since you have a diagnosis, I would accept it and trust your doctor.  You are likely to be having a flare up.  A lot of conditions are worse at night but I don’t know why.  Do not google your symptoms because it will fuel your anxiety and anxiety triggers IBS and will make your symptoms worse.

Take antispasmodics and Nurofen for the pain and avoid your trigger foods especially doughnuts since it made you worse.  Try distraction techniques for the pain such as a hobby.

• Posted

It hurts pretty bad especially at night. I don't have either of those medications. I try and ignore the pain but it's difficult.

• Posted

I'm in the hospital. Severe Diverticulitis in my sigmoid colon. sad They are keeping me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.