Is this IBS or something more serious? I am serious worried!

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had symptoms of IBS for the past week and a half and they seem to not be going away. I have had IBS symptoms in the past — but nothing like this before: bloating, constipation, diarrhoea, gassiness, mucus in stool, etc. I went to the doctors before and they examined me and said that it was more likely IBS and that I should up my intake of fibre (fruit and vegetables).

I used to suffer from health anxiety and when on holiday or away from home used to hold by poop in for several days (unless it absolutely necessary to go; which I have stopped now) due to fear of viruses and germs from toilet seats. I read it could increase your likelihood of developing colon cancer and now I am freaking out that I may have CC. I haven't had any blood in my stool (apart from when I strain due to being constipated and it has gone away after a few days). I feel like I need to have a urgent need to go but very little comes out. After I have a bowel movement I either feel full (still) or super-hungry.

I was recently sick from flu or a cold (not COVID) and all of a sudden started with diarrhoeawhich has gone from the latter to normal stool and then back again. I have also stared with a pain in my left-side (almost like a throbbing sensation that doesn't really hurt) and pain underneath my rib cage.

I am also autistic — I have Asperger's syndrome and suffer from anxiety (more precisely heath anxiety or hypochondria) which my grandmother also had the latter and I have heard that both anxiety and autism is connected to IBS and GI issues.

I am going crazy over this... please help.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I wouldn't be worried. That can make it worse. Most likely IBS but did you go see a Gastro doc? Always good to be proactive. God bless!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.