Is this Keratosis pilaris?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

Ok I'm a 26 year old woman and as long as I can remember I've had these goosebump like spots all over my chest. It's not acne or blackheads or anything like that, I practically never have acne, I have very dry skin.

It didn't used to bother me too much but in the past couple of years I've noticed it on my neck now as well-I don't know if it's always been there though and I've only just noticed it.

Is this Keratosis pilaris? I have read up about that and it seems that appears mostly on the arms though, i only have it on my chest and neck.

I think it might be due to shaving, ok I know its crazy but ever since puberty I've shaved practically everywhere, even the normal light faint hair everyone gets I've shaved it all so including my neck and chest. I've stopped doing it now but the bumps wont go away! They're skin coloured and it looks like its to do with the hair follicles, it's like a spot on every hair follicle, some of them look dark like it's the hair trapped-I have dark hair so some of the hair on my body is darker in places even though it's still fine. Anyway does anyone else have this or know what it is if it isn't KP? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have posted a link to DermNetNZ, which has photos.  You could Google it if you haven't already had a look there.  It is an excellent website and Doctors use it.

You ought to speak to your GP if you're worried, or perhaps the Practice Nurse.  I'm sure they will put your mind to rest.

• Posted

Thanks for the link, very helpful-had read up on KP but never seen photos. Now that I have I think I can rule it out, it doesn't really look like KP. It's definitely something to do with the hair follicles like trapped hair or inflamed follicles, making them a little bit bumpy. Maybe everyone has this but its more noticeable on me because I'm pale skinned? Its probably only noticeable in some light. I'm not worried about it, I've had it for years, don't think there's anything that can be done about it now if it's not KP, it's just a bit unsightly!
    • Posted

Try your practice nurse, she will be sympathetic and might know what it is

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.