Is this lyme? day after tick bite

Posted , 2 users are following.

New to the site any way I can add a pic?

I found a tick on my leg and it was not fully engorged and was able to fully remove The body with tweezers(stored tick in refridgerator with damp towl) and dumped rubbing alcohal on the bite site. Later that day there was a very small dark bruise like spot where the bite was, which I assumed was normal. next day early afternoon I realized it was red around the bite(small bruise spot still there) with a red ring on the outside, a little more red on the outside ring part but this was smaller than an American dime coin wich is pretty small. I guess I should mention first, on the day of the tick removal I called my general practice doc over the phone and got prescribed doxyceline hyclade 100mg 2x a day for 14 days and started taking it the next day when I saw this redness. i have a pic if I can share?another thing to note is 1-2 days later the outer ring faded and is gone and now shows new very little amount of light bruising on the outer part.I had schedualed an appointment with my doc and showed pics showing this development and she told me she thought it was normal and not the notorious "bullseye" and said it was most likely irritation from dumping alcohal on the bite and was a normal reaction to bite. I am skeptical can the lyme rash be that small? she insisted it would be bigger I wish I could share pic are my chanes good with this coarse of antibiotics I've read there are higher and/or longer doses people get . Really anxious to get this figured out any feed back would be appreciated more than you could imagine thanks!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Greg,

I understand your concern. I had Lyme Disease last summer and the rash I had was not the classic bullseye shape, but more of a bruise and fairly small. However, when I was tested, I was positive for LD and had all the symptoms, including a lot of pain. I was given 28 days of Doxycyline and now feel recovered.

You have caught it early and have done everything right, particularly keeping the tick. 

Your doctor is not correct if they believe a LD rash reaction has to be a classic bulls eye shape, that is not so. You can actually look this up to provide evidence.

This is the important thing though. You have one shot at dealing with the LD bacteria, because if it's not treated aggressively at the beginning, you will have trouble getting treatment from the doctor again as they will dismiss it as Post Treatment Lyme Disease Symptom. 

If I were you, I would go back to your doctor, with evidence you have collated on the internet and insist on a 28 day course of Doxycycline to ensure that you treat this disease effectively. Remember, this is your body and you need to take this very seriously.

Don't be put off by your Doctor. More often that not, doctors have very limited knowledge of Lyme Disease and are following outdated information.

Above all, stay calm or they will dismiss you as irrational. A good tip is to write everything down. Keep it concise though or your doctor will switch off.

The good news is that you're being treated. And early.

Good luck to you and please do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Wow Thank you Caroline for the fast helpful reply/expierience(going to push for 28 day treatment) glad to hear your feeling recovered.

I will definitly follow up with my expierence on here.

Can I ask how long into your 28 day treatment did your symptoms slow or stop? was it almost immediate or did you feel the change was the Greater part of 28 days?

• Posted

It's been 5 days since discovery of tick

Only symptom I can state is I do notice I occasionally have a small muscle twitch in my leg or arm might be the stress I've had from this but I'll watch.

• Posted

Hi Greg,

Firstly you need to show that photo to your GP. It's not like the rash I had at all.

To answer your question about time to recovery, I felt 75% back to normal after 28 days treatment of Doxycycline antibiotic. It took at least a year to feel fully recovered, as I felt very tired for a long time and struggled with concentrations. However, I've used memory games to improve on this and that's helped a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.