Is this microvascular angina or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All, I have been experiencing unexplained symptoms for over 2 years and wondered if there is anybody out there that can share similar experience or offer some guidance as to what my problem could be.

It started 2 yrs ago with episodes of a kind of vertigo feeling. Like a falling feeling. I also suffered with a discomfort just to the left of my spine near my shoulder blade that may or may not be related. I initially shrugged it off. It happened 5 or 6 times over a 6 week period then went away for a year. Then it returned with a vengence! the episodes now came with a horrible sense of doom along with pain in the tips of my shoulders, palpitations and chest pressure. I was sent to both cardiology and the musculoskeletal unit. Cardiology had me do an echo, ecg and stress test but found nothing. MSK did an MRI of my thoracic spine but found only moderate degenerative disc disease that they say is normal. MSK did an examination of my thoracic spine and found significant stiffness in the muscle that runs down the left of my thoracic spine. They gave me exersises to do and discharged me with a diagnosis of possible T4 syndrome. 

By this time I began experiencing a deep aching in my back, chest, left neck, jaw and the left side of my face. This can come on at rest, last anything from 5 mins to 45 mins then go away as if nothing was wrong. i have experienced episodes of involuntary arm curling with the vertigo/doom episodes although this has only happened 3 or 4 times in 2 years and passed quite quickly. It had me feeling I was about to have a heart attack. I also began to experience a discomfort with my breathing. Feeling as though Im not getting a satisfying breath. This also comes and goes at random. I experience dizzy spells too. Over the last 12 months this has gotten worse. I was referred back to cardiology and fitted with a holter monitor (found nothing) They tested me for a pheochromocytoma (nothing) and finally a CT angiogram that showed no calcification and clear main arteries although they did say the smaller vessels could not be seen on the scan and that they couldnt rule out MVD or microvascular spasms. They discharged me with a note to my GP to try me on nitrates and calcium channel blockers to see if they improved my symptoms. My GP tried me on nitrates but they made me feel ill and I stopped them after a couple of weeks. My GP wont try me on CCBs because I am taking propanalol and says the two cannot be taken together. Since then Ive been left to suffer. No further investigations, no diagnosis and a worsening condition. In the last couple of weeks the weather has been really hot and I have noticed my symptoms are worse, difficulty getting a satisfying breath along with the usual angina type pain referal pattern. Now I also get a feeling of a knife between my shoulder blades that comes on, is really painful and then goes away in a couple of minutes. 

I really dont know where to turn next. Ive also seen a Rhuematologist that said he could explain some of my symptoms but not all and questioned why I had never had a invasive angiogram. He also advised me to push for the CCBs. I have registered with a new GP but I havnt seen him yet. I have lost confidence in my old GP as I dont think she knows what to do.

My blood tests show a raised lipid profile. Combined HDL LDL ratio of 6.1 but my Tryglycerides are at a massive 5.7 and I have been offered nothing to help it except "change your diet"... I eat the odd take away like everyone else but i dont eat unhealthily at all. My Ferritin levels are at 700 but my C reactive proteins are normal indicating no inflammation and I am not anemic. My red blood cell count is slightly lower than it should be but apparently not enough to account for the breathing issue. I was also B12 deficient at 172. I am on injections for this but no mention of any further tests to get to the bottom of things. 

I am 39 yrs old. Male.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any opinions and shared experiences much appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have microvascular angina and this doesn't sound like it to me. The only time I get vertigo is when I try to take the nitrates. I have pain but would rather have pain than pass out somewhere in public from the nitrates. I hope your new GP can help you with this. I know how it feels when you know something is wrong but the tests all come back okay. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.