Is this my parotid gland and if so, is it supposed to be this big?

Posted , 3 users are following.

25F

5'2 and I weigh 133 lbs

A few weeks ago I was just feeling my neck and I noticed it felt hard on my left side. When I looked in the mirror, I could see it looked visible too and I'm petty sure it never looked like that before. When I feel my right side with my head turned, I can feel a similar hard bump but its much smaller and also not visible. So obviously the bump is something I have on normally on both sides, which makes me think it's supposed to be there, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be visible like it is in the picture. I've attached it to this post and will also attach it as a comment.

Also, on the left side (same side where its bigger) I have a swollen lymph node right where my finger is touching. The lymph node isn't visible and it's not huge, but you can feel it if you press in the area. I'm not sure if it would be considered hard or moveable since I've never really had swollen nodes to compare it to.

I have no pain at all and no symptoms of a salivary issue like dry mouth, trouble eating, pain, etc. It's not red or inflamed either.

Other things of note is that I've been ridiculously tired for the past few weeks. As in, taking a 4 hour nap every afternoon, nearly falling asleep while driving, and having no interest in things that normally excite me like shopping. I've also lost my appetite and have been getting indigestion like feeling full quickly or getting nauseous or pain in chest while eating. But that could just be because I'm a teacher and it's almost summer break.

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's normal to be able to see that bump, and if it's the parotid gland. And if I should see a doctor.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.