Is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Mid December I had an aortic arch root replacement and mechanical valve replacement and for the most part I've made a good recovery.  But if I bend down or do anything that requires any effort I get a sudden headache that can last 5 minutes or more.  My blood pressure is good and I can't think what is causing it, can anyone help please?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's been a while since I had an Aprtic root dissection repair, but I had a lot of 'weird' symptoms for months & months afterwards. In fact there are still a few that have hung around and are considered as the things we are stuck with. Get it checked, mention in to your consultant, GP's don't seem to be informed about these conditions. 

From my experience - It does get easier and most of these weird things do settle down. But you must remain in charge of your own treatment & condition. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.  I'm still having the pain in my head when I bend down or cough.  I was discharged by my surgeon but had another echocardiogram that showed my heart muscle was only working at 30% but there is hope it will improve.  I have been to my GP who has refered me to a neurologist so hopefully the headaches will be sorted out. 
  • Posted

Hi Gail ,I had the exact same as you 7yrs ago. but I've had TIA's since and a full stroke 4 years ago , I'm having a MRI tomorrow which was too dangerous until now but my consultant informs me the valve will only heat up a little. so will let you know how i get on . I wonder if you shouldn't tell your consultant about the pain in your head ,I also had a blood infusion last nov which helped me.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,  I have been referred to a neurologist but despite my GP asking for an 'urgent referral'  my appointment is still not till the end of July.  Perhaps I will have an MRI  or CT scan to see what the problem is.  Please do let me know how you get on with yours!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.