Is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed mono about a month ago, maybe 5 weeks. I had the typical chills, dizziness, nausea

, lethargy, horrendous sore throat (for 21 days). After the 21 days I felt ok. Not nearly as tired and no other physical symptoms. But I'm the last few days, I've felt nausea off and on, and I stayed up soooo late last night after a night out, and today, I feel terrible. Slight throat swelling, so tired and most odd, the chills. Maybe this is unrelated, but does this normal or common at all? I've not had any blood work since my initial diagnosis. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

From my experience I'd say yes, it is quite normal.

My view is that as much as you might feel better after 3-4 weeks from getting it, you actually have to show it a lot more respect than if it was just flu, which would be on its way out of your system by now and you can pretty much carry on with life.

I did not show my GF respect because it was 1982 and no one seemed to know anything about it. I got on a bicycle about a week after feeling better and triggered it full blown for another month. I then took 3 months off any sport and started again with heavy exercising and I triggered it full blown again.

If I could do things over I would have waited about two weeks after feeling symptom free before putting my system under any stress and that stress would have been equivalent to going for a 30 minute walk. I would have waited probably 2 months before doing anything more serious.

I know we are all different in how we respond to the illness but I tell this story so that you don't keep triggering it while first getting it and then have become one of the elite club of us who get it repeating throughout life.

This is a case of short term loss of things like exercising & late nights for long term gain. And I mean long term, I am now 53 and down with it again for the past 3 months. You can imagine my joy lol!

Take it easy on yourself over the next couple months. When feeling symptom free, do some light walking and build that up over a couple months to longer walks. I usually pick a date in the future to focus on when I plan to restart exercising and take my mind off the day to day tracking of symptoms which can be quite tiring in itself.

You'll come out the other side just fine I'm sure but you'll need to show it respect for a little longer I'm afraid.

Good luck :-)

• Posted

Thanks Jeremy! That's so crazy that you've had so many recurrences. This is truly an interesting virus. It also seems that so many physicians claim it's rare in adults, yet I feel like so many of us are over 30-40. Perhaps a very understudied area. I hope you feel better!

• Posted

Hi r05,

So sorry to hear things have still been so tough, I agree with Jeremy yes this can be perfectly normal with the virus unfortunately. As Jeremy says, it is a virus that requires respect and a lot of people are set back by trying to work through it rather than take plenty of rest, which really is needed frustrating as it is.

Things do and will get better for you, as Jeremy says don't panic if it doesn't come right away because it will come, and the fatigue and symptoms can last a few months for some people (they did for me), but everyone seems to react differently and remember you will get better and full recovery will come. Hang in there!

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig! Definitely need to take some downtime over this holiday smile. Thanks for your help! 
    • Posted

Definitely r05, thinking about you and remember just to look after yourself and get plenty of rest and things are going to be okay! Don't panic if it doesn't come right away fully because it definitely will come, it can be a bit zig-zag the way recovery goes with this one, but most important thing at the moment is just to manage each day and remember your body needs time to recover and to be kind and understanding to yourself. Vitamins and herbs can definitely help with boosting your immune system for sure, a good strong multi-vitamin per day especially.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.