Is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,I had a vasectomy 11 days ago,for the first 9 days I had unbelievable pain in my stomach/groin area where I literally struggled to walk. On day 9 I noticed that my stitches had become infected and my sack had swelled up to the size of a big orange!and become hard to feel. I could feel a lump below my testicle and booked in with the surgeon for him to have a look to reassure. He had a look and said he was not worried about anything and the operation went well and gave me some stronger anti biotics to cure. Has anyone else been through a similar experience?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Infections post vasectomy are very common and nothing to worry about.

Keep area clean with plain water or heavily diluted anti septic

If it persists past the 4-5 week mark then you will really need to revisit GP

• Posted

Fairly Normal. I ended up in A&E to be told not to worry. Just keep an eye on the infection

• Posted

Very bad swelling and pain. They aren't bothered with orange sized bits, only melon sized. Not funny when your on maximum codeine dose.

• Posted

The infection seems to be better already but like most just want everything back to normal and forget about it. Thanks 👍

• Posted

Just when I thought things were getting better I've now got a year where my stitches are now just a whole wtf!

• Posted

Not sure what you mean by a year with just a hole?

Did they actually stitch?

Wound usually heals and closes up within a few weeks and then takes a while longer before "flat" scar

• Posted

Sorry mean to say tear,yes had stitches and they are still in but have a hole where it's pulled open

• Posted

Stitches can move.

Are you sure it's a tear with a hole or could it be two sides of a wound pulling together with an amount of dark congealed blood giving depth perception of a hole?

You may well be right but a worried mind can work overtime and you'll see, almost, what the worst can be...a tear with a hole.

Ask your wife / partner to have a really good, but gentle look, and just ask her is there a hole or a wound with dark blood inside. She'll be worried for you but able to give a better description without the excess worry you have.

If it is the wound actually pulling apart then keep area really clean and get to GP as soon as you can for his view.

I didn't have stitches and it looked gross but healed perfectly, so don't let the fact stitches may have pulled apart worry you hugely as that area has pretty quick healing in that regard.

Easy to say but try not to worry too much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.