Is this normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been suffering with a fissure for over a year now. I was on nitroglycerin ointment for a short while. I didn’t like the side effects at all! Anyway I eventually had the fissure  under control for a few months but now it has come back and it is worse than ever. I saw a colorectal doctor last week because after I had a BM there was blood on the paper. He did examine me and said everything looked fine and told me to start a strict diet and take metamucil and see if that helps.  I’ve had a few BMs after that and there was no blood. 

But Today I had a BM and it was all blood on the paper. Bright red blood and it was more blood than last week. I also have like this dull numbing pain in the rectum. It’s not really painful but more of like a not normal feeling I guess you can say. There also seems to be a scab on my anus too. I don’t want to see the doctor again since I was just there last week but this does make me a little nervous.

Does this sound normal? Occasionally bleeding during a BM? A decent amount of blood and not just streaks?  The weird feeling in my rectum?  The scab looking thing?

I am just so fustrated with this. Sometimes I get so emotional and just let it out. I was at work this morning hysterical crying in the bathroom.

It’s comforting to know there are people out there who can understand and relate  smile 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Bright red blood supposed to mean it’s on the outer part of the anus not internal, so it’s not that bad.  I get this too I’m going on 2 years dealing with the fissure but I feel it’s under control. The dull feeling probably comes from the excess blood in your anus, I try to shower after bloody stool. The drying blood can make you itchy, feel dull. I use coconut oil and/or vitamin e oil. And it’s healing very slowly, but Gotta watch you diet and stay regular and soft. 
  • Posted

Since it sounds like the fissure is on the outside, it isn't too bad and you're lucky in that sense. However you could try using Actilax. It keeps the everything really soft. Use this especially if you are constipated and you're nervous about passing it. It can take up to 3 days to work, and continue to take every night. This healed my fissure along with Rectogesic (miracle cream my doctor prescribed that yours probably prescribed you also). It literally healed my fissure in about a week. 

• Posted

Stop suffering. It will most likely only get worse. If it is truly a fissure get surgery. I suffered for two years and it became excruciating! I finally had surgery, best thing I ever did and absolutely no problems or pain once I healed from surgery. 
  • Posted

Regarding is the blood normal only a doctor should answer that but I would say yes as long as it is bright red and not dark. Regardless if you are bleeding there is tissue damage and continuous tissue damage is not good. Ask about surgery to fix the fissure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.