Is this normal - 5 weeks after Gallblader removal?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, i had my gallbladder removed almost 5 weeks ago and am still getting constant discomfort (and pain) right in the area where my gallbladder used to be.  It's so uncomfortable, particularly when I'm sitting down.  My GP referred me back to the surgeon 2 weeks ago.  I've still not got an appointment so I thought I'd ask on here whether anyone else had discomfort in this area for so long after.  Many thanks and best wishes to everyone else who is 'recovering' from this surgery.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you mean like a sharp stabbing pain think it might be either still a bit of gas trapped or stitches healing on your insides they move your organs about to get to your gallbladder I aint in much pain what I found I get out of breath but when discharged from hosp wasnt offered a follow up appointment was told any queries see your gp it is a big op people heal differently a friends daughter is having pains 4 weeks after surgery good luck xx
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply wendy - i know it's not gas pains though.

• Posted

I'm still having pain in right side and back and shoulder pain had CT scan on chest and abdomen all ok bloods ok worried it's my kidney but that would be seen on CT scan wouldn't it x 4weeks post OP this pain is so paid but they say it's not related to op but I dont know why I got this pain

• Posted

I'm not Doctor, Carol.... But I experience pain almost 2 years later. If you haven't already, scroll through this post thread and read what everyone has to say because I'm finding it's really quite common. Personally, I had a bile leak after I was nicked in my gallbladder removal surgery and went septic. Then I had pancreatitis, and then a cyst where my gallbladder was. I don't understand why you are having to wait to see the doctor. If the pain gets bad I would call the office and demand to see them sooner. I have been dealing with this for two years in October. It is ridiculous. No doctor can ever give me a real answer. I've had so many CTs, bloodwork, etc. the more research I do online, (which I do keep in mind that not everything on the Internet is true) the more I find that this consistent pain after gallbladder removal is common and even more so with laparoscopy removal it seems. Which is what I had. I'm sorry , truly, that you are having to suffer. I hope that your journey is much much shorter than mine and the other people here and that you find answers and relief soon.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry to hear that you've had such an awful time of it.  I really wish I hadn't had this surgery because the pain and discomfort I've got now is much worse than i had before the surgery.  What sort of pain do you get now? Did you have an mri scan done?

• Posted

I have had several MRI's, CT's, I even had a nuclear medicine Scan I believe is what it's called. The pain that I experience now is a constant pain/discomfort on the right side of my torso. It is sometimes worse on some days. When I take a deep breath it hurts worse. It hurts to lay on that side as well. Now I also experience I different type of pain directly under my breasts in the upper center part of my torso. That one is not constant. It comes and goes randomly. Sometimes I find it aches (the only word I can think to describe it) if I haven't eaten enough. Sometimes the pain can be resolved by eating more food. But sometimes.... It doesn't work. And a few times when that has happened... I'll eat trying to make it stop but the pain intensifies. When it intensifies it is 10/10 pain . The pain radiates to my back... My body turns red hot to the touch and look. I swear profusely. It feels like someone took a big pole and shoved it through my upper body. Then my breathing becomes labored. This recently happened to me two weeks ago and I had to call 911. I was at work and my coworker was driving me to the ER at first but it got too bad and we had to pull off and call 911. Or she did. When I'm in this state of pain I am completely debilitated and I cannot do anything except cry out and moan in pain. It hurts too to cry because when I breathe it hurts more. Now this is my personal experience and pain. Not everyone I personally know who's had their gallbladder removed has had this if anything. Before I had mine removed my "gall attacks" were VERY severe. In fact.... They are just as the pain I described above... Same scenario. It's just now I have no gallbladder. It's very bizarre. I don't believe any doctor has been able to fully give me an answer to this and I've seen many GI's. Next Tuesday I am having an endoscopy at a new gastrointestinal practice at Emory hospital which is supposed to be one of the best. I became so tired dealing with my local doctors. All they would say is this is normal and want to give me cortisone shots. I know that's not the solution. This isn't just scar tissue. I feel that way anyway.

• Posted

I meant to say that I SWEAT profusely when describing my "attack". Although swearing could help as well.... Haha

• Posted

I am horrified on a daily basis reading gall bladder stories at Patient.  There's hardly 2 alike.  What's going on?  All I can think of as regards your problem is they have damaged elswhere or left something in.  [Not really helpful].  There must be a reason so many have probllems and as many have had a straight forward experience.  Possibly directives changed for GB procedures after a certain 'time'.  If this helps , one lady even though she had her GB removed still suffered stones in her bile duct.

• Posted

I understand what you mean. i think 'stones in the bile duct' is the next thing they check for. What a nightmare!!

• Posted

Also- it takes a very long time to completely heal completely from this surgery. Speaking from personal experience and based on what all the doctors I've seen have said. So perhaps you're going through the healing process

• Posted

In my experience, I would say no, it's not normal. The majority of my pain eased within two weeks and after 3-4 weeks I felt completely normal. Everyone is different but that was my experience

• Posted

some pain and discomfort normal for a few months according to my GP
    • Posted

that's more than my GP said to me.. when i asked him a similar question he just held his hands up and said "I don't know - you'll have to ask the surgeon".

• Posted

Thanks very much... your replies are much appreciated.
    • Posted

Hello I had my gallbladder removed a year ago, I have the same exact problem, I refuse to be on any more medications or procedures etc. I now do mediation, breathing and Pepsid ac. Every friend I have that have had the same surgery have this burning pain in the upper area under the ribs. From what the surgeon said 1 out of 3 people have this pain. I really watch my diet carefully but I try to over look the pain but at times its hard. Lots of praying and mindfulness is used. I would have never had it out had I known this. But it is what it is so I just go on and do the very best I can. Take care and best of luck and prayers to you. I just spoke with two other friends who have simular issues post surgery we all go through the same thing, some have flare ups and some a dull pain. One uses a pain pill, I do this a night only.  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.