Is this normal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had full hysterectomy 30 Nov 17 so now over 2 weeks. I was sent 2 days later told take it easy and have appointment see consultant end Jan. Felt better this week and ventured out on Wednesday just for a coffee and I had tried washing couple things up and put couple things on washing line and felt fine. Yesterday and today felt awful very tired and in pain gone back taking pain killers. Is this normal, or have I tried to do too much?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debi,

This sounds so similar to my experience.  I had my hysterectomy on Nov 27th, so about a week after you.  I find that when I rest and be still, I feel much better.  Some days I feel good and so I attempt to do even small things like help with dinner prep or unload the dishwasher.  I am amazed at how that puts me down the next day.  I struggle with if it's possible to be still for 6 weeks but am trying to be intentional about doing just that.  The laundry and dishes and busyness of life will still be there in January.  Try to explain to your family that you only have one chance to heal and you have to be still.  I think your experience is quite common and I would encourage you to do things very slowly at first and rest as much as you can.  Thanks for sharing, praying for a total recovery soon.  smile

• Posted

Thanks that makes me feel better knowing I not alone. Family are being great I have full house with me daughter, son in law and granddaughter 22 months and they don't expect me to do anything but when you feel ok you try. I think I expecting too much so will rest more. Are you tired all the time ?

• Posted

Yes it is normal.  If you received post operative instructions, follow them to the letter!  It  can take over 4 weeks for your external stitches to heal and 8 weeks or longer for internal stitches.  Your body has this one chance to heal well.  Please give it the rest it needs. xx
    • Posted

Thanks think I learnt my lesson and will not be trying too hard again x
    • Posted

Well, housework will always wait for us, won't it? Unless we have a "rare" partner who will step up.  I think that it's good to realize, at least for a time, that you have needs, too, and that in order to heal properly one must make them a priority.  Best of luck. xx

• Posted

Hello.  I am new to this forum.  I had a total vag hysterectomy, A&P repair, bladder sling on 11/30/17.  I went back to work after 3 days.  I am nurse in a busy ortho clinic.  No heavy lifting but lots of walking.  Honestly, I have had no pain except for some hip pain (trouble with getting one side of sling in).  Has anybody gone back to work this soon?

• Posted

Usually, your internal parts need over 6 weeks to heal, sometimes longer.  You've just had major surgery.  You need to rest in order to heal. Not giving your body sufficient time to heal can result in more internal scarring and adhesions.  Just because you're experiencing no pain doesn't mean all is well.  Did your doctor not give you post operative instructions?  

• Posted

Absolutely had instructions form my MD.  We had several discussions preop and have seen her twice post-op.   She was totally ok with me going back to work and long as I did no lifting and I felt up to it.  I just haven't seen anybody else talking about going back so soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.