Is this normal after having a PE?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im sorry that i keep posting here, but i have to ask: is it normal to feel as if you are physically fragile months after PE treatment? i feel like if i start walking or running i will keel over and die, or wind up in the hospital again.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

yes, it is completely normal, specially if you are on anticoagulants! It took my 14 year old daughter at least two years before she started to feel a little better and stronger! It also affects you psychologically and the best thing to do is to keep your chin up and ask for help whenever you need it! You will overcome it and feel better! It takes a little time!

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry you are going through this ordeal.

I had my PE's 3 years ago. It is a pretty profound physical as well as emotional experience.

I didn't feel well for months and I emotionally felt fragile.

Counseling helped me a great deal.

I also had a wonderful pulmonologist who sent me for post tests to make sure the clots had totally resolved.

Now 3 years after, it's as though I didn't have them.

You will get back to normal and what you are feeling is entirely normal.

Take care. Be good to yourself.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I agree I am 1 year since my PE but still dont feel back to myself. I feel it takes a while before your body heals completely. I have gone to ER a few times wondering if I am having another since I don't take blood thinners any longer. Still get short of breath, heart palpitations, anxiety but things are gradually improving' It takes time.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I had mine this time last year, at the end of September I joined the gym and started step aerobics and pilates. It was hard doing step aerobics as I was getting out if breath due to the lung damage caused by the PE. I am still slower the everyone else and get short of breath but I still hope my lung can recover.

I do feel scared and have a panic if I feel a slight pain or breathless, also I have a bit of an obsession to keep up my routine of exercising, not sitting for too long, drinking at least a litre of water per day. I do not think it will ever leave me.

Report Reply
  • Posted

i think this is perfectly normal from asking others. itgaveme such a fright like you and my energy levels have not recovered fully. i am learning to accept it. i am on warfarin for life and im sure that doesnt help. psychologically it affects many, me included, and i am still trying to get back my old self. everything seems so hard but most people seem to be able to get there given time. i wish you luck.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up