is this normal after taking uric acid lowering drug

Posted , 4 users are following.

good day iam 26 and have a high uric acid about 8.5-11 flatuating. 1 and a half month ago i had a pain in my right ankle, toe and heel. sometines getting better than after a week having a flare again jumping from heel to big toe to ankle. after going to the doctor i was prescribe febuxostat 21 days now my big toe is still stiff and has mild pain

now my concern is after taking the drug i am having pain in my wrist which jumps sometimes in my index finger like 30 minutes or so not inflamed do still can move it but there is quite a pain from index of 1-10 10 being the highest about 2-3 is this normal?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

btw my uric acid now is 4.1 i am also prescribe with methylpredisone and tramadol whenever there is an upcoming flare
  • Posted

I would not think that pain of 2-3 and jumping around joints like that is gout.  It might be pseudo-gout.  Whether these are appropriate treatments for pseudo-gout I cannot say.

?I've had "real" gout, and I've had pseudo-gout.  Real gout tends to go right to the 10 and no foolin'.  And it doesn't jump around.  All I've ever found on pseudo-gout is to take pain killers and wait it out.  Prednisone?  Ugh, maybe.  Maybe some glucosamine, I'm set to try that next opportunity - which I hope never comes!

• Posted

hello jx thanks but the only thing which is 2-3 is my wrist my right feet when there is a flare is 10 it is sorted out now the only issue i have is my big toe the ball on the sole is still stiff and has quite pain when i walk to long like 1 hr or so. my wrist pain only started when i started taking febuxostat.
    • Posted

Your experience of gout flares may be intensely painful. It isn’t universal. Furthermore these pains are flares caused by the flushing of the mono sodium urate crystals. I experienced exactly the same pains, but in my thumbs rather than wrist. One is liable to get these pains in any small joints. 

As for pseudo gout, at 26 it is extremely unlikely. Pseudo gout is a malady of the old and very old. 

• Posted

Get some prednisone start taking a probiotic and get some devils claw that works for me eat bananas and pineapple drink a ton of water if anything works for u let me no good luck
    • Posted

iam taking right now methylpredebisone which sort out an empending flare i take 1 16 mg tablet then the next day it is almost painless but the problem is the big toe the ball on its sole is still painfull and stiff when i walk for long periods of time like 1 hr. also the wrist pain started when i started taking febuxostat. i told my doctor and he said it is normal as the crystals are starting to dissolve.

but i want to ask if others experience this when they started their uric acid lowering theraphy.

btw i have been drinkibg lots of water. iam also not eating meat, alcohol or lebtils for thw past 7 weekz

• Posted

Your doctor is correct. You should definitely avoid high fructose corn syrup. Drinking water is good. Most dietary restriction are unnecessary once your urate is under control. 
    • Posted

thanks mate yup iam still taking it and will not stop like everyone is telling. do u have any other advice about home remedies i could add with ny medication in your experience
    • Posted

I’m afraid that I just take the allopurinol and get on with life. I drink very little alcohol, and I avoid HFCS anyway. I try to keep to BMI under 27 (25 would be better). I am aware that onion has an impact on inflammatory illnesses and I eat it anyway- there are other things, but the allopurinol keeps my blood urate at about 2.7 so I’ve no need for anything else. 

I forgot - I always have a supply of colchicine and on the rare occasion I get a twinge I’ll pop one which sorts it. 

• Posted

when you first started allupunirol how many months or years did you take it before almost no attacks of gout?
    • Posted

It’s been a few years Mark, but the colchicine really helped. I used lots of the colchicine in the first few months, less after that for a probably another 3 months. Now I use it rarely. If I do get a problem it’ll be in my thumbs.

I have read research though that it takes 3 to 60 months for the attacks to decline, with most in the 3 months or under 1 year catagory.  As long as the drug is bringing your blood urate to under 3 (or even 4) the crystals will be removed. As you are young you’ve not been depositing them for years as I probably was, which suggests it’ll be sooner rather than later.

I’m sure that like everyone who sticks to the therapy it will work until in six months you’ll suddenly notice you’ve not had an attack for ages. 

At the beginning you need regular appointments to check your blood and to see the dose is high enough. After that annually should be fine.

Good health!

• Posted

thanks rusty before you took the drug have u experience reoccuring gout like every week for a month? i am not taking colchicine as i get very sick and it doesnt seem to calm my attack as i already have it. i replace it with methlypedenisone 1s a day but if my feet is good i stop it. i also have colchicine if i ever sorth out this attack ill try colchicine again for impending attack
    • Posted

I didn’t get gout constantly, indeed I only once had a toe gout attack I’d say was agony. 

The symptoms I had most were tingling ninny arms and fingers and then I got tophi. Both were sorted quickly (the tingling in weeks). 

As for colchicine- if it gives you diarrhoea then I read some research that showed the way forward is to cut the tabs in half (why do they make they stupidly small??) and take the 1/2 tab every 6 hours. The trouble with them is the perfect dose varies for everyone, and the difference between the perfect dose and a trip to the toilet is very close! The good thing is though that just because it gave you diarrhoea, you can stop and start again with a lower dose 3 days later and you won’t automatically trot off again. 

I would say (as I’m sure you know because I get the impression your doc is on the ball), you’re under 30 and you need your heart for another 50 years, so need to get this sorted. I’m in my 50s, so ultimately I might drop dead of something else tomorrow anyway; older folk can afford to ignore it’s long term consequences: you on the other hand can’t. It may be sensible for you to get your heart checked out every 5 years. 

But - we probably all worry about gout at first. I assure you, stick to the gout lowering therapy and it is inevitable that every month you’ll have slightly less attacks than the previous month - putting attacks in your diary may reassure you are going in the right direction.  In 12 months and probably 3 or 4 gout will just be a tab you take as thoughtlessly as a woman takes a birth control pill.

NB I in know way intended to imply that Febuxostat will stop you getting pregnant nor stop you getting someone else pregnant. 

• Posted

Completely normal.

You need some colchicine to be taken in conjunction with the Uric acid reducing therapy.  This phase will pass as the stores of mono sodium urate crystals put down over a decade, will get flushed out. 

Remember that Uric acid doesn’t just damage joints it’s damaging you arteries and veins and long term leads to heart attack. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.