is this normal during anxiety or panic

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys been suffering with high anxiety for months now ive had this panic and anxiety for 17 years so I always get use to symptoms then ill develop a new symptom ive never experienced before. One new symptom I get during very high anxiety or during a panic attack is my brain feels very slow i mean super slow kind of like i cant even think its like my brain has actually frozen its super scary cause I start to feel like im going crazy or ill lose control cause my brain feels like its not really working, im really hoping someone has had something like this with there anxiety or panic cause I feel very nervous im alone on this one. Thanks for any help

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

• Posted

Yeah today was stressful for me so I started feeling like that with derealization horrible but what helps is saying who I am where I'm at my social etc that way I tell myself see I'm fine you are okay it helps sometimes
    • Posted

Hi antsy does it feel like ur brain is nearly stopping and a frozen feeling like the brain has stopped is this how you describe it thank you for writing to me i still feel odd
  • Posted

Yeah kind of it freaks me out I feel out of it right now sad
    • Posted

God its hell isn't it sorry your got it too atleast we both no its anxiety if we both have it cause I started to think maybe im going crazy or having a stroke , or something else was wrong with my brain, I still feel weird ive got that bad feeling of doom like somthings going to happen but I dont no what. God im so so so over anxiety
    • Posted

hi allison jus like me im sure i gotta brain tumour or bleeding in the brain or an aneurysm or somethïng to do with my brain. i was even thinking about parasites in it its really freaking me out dont enjoy life anymore jus thinking about my symptons all the time
    • Posted

Hi Elaine sorry I just seen you messaged me, I also start thinking ive got something wrong with my brain im going to book in for a ct on my brain cause I obsess otherwise im so sick of this. How are you today?
    • Posted

thanx allison not any better this has been going on for over 7 mnths started after what the dr said was labyrhinitis ive got constant ringing in 1 ear spaced out and a ĺittle off balance at times what r your symptons apart from the ones uve stated?
    • Posted

Hi Elaine sorry I keep getting your reply late for some reason, I also get issues with my ears I get vertigo had it for ten years i also sometimes feel unbalanced when I walk. My other symptoms i get with my anxiety and ocd is depersonalization and derealization, my heart races, cant swallow, trouble breathing, brain fog, memory problems, flashbacks, dissociation I have more symptoms but dont Won't to bore you lol

• Posted

I'm so over it too I hate it so much ugh I look at my phone and when I look up I'm like oh wow my brain feels overwhelmed lol it's weird
    • Posted

Hi antsy how are you? I hate it aswell i wish I could be normal, I dont gag but I do have times were i feel i cant swallow or like my throat is closing. I finally got to a psychiatrist and got diagnosed with ocd and panic disorder and dissociative disorder caused from complex trauma from my childhood i feel more confident since seeing him he said he can help me without medication. I feel like ive got more hope now, do you see a therapist.
    • Posted

I know i feel more confident about my future now. Im sure you'll also enjoy therapy How long do you have to go
  • Posted

Sounds like a mini stroke.
    • Posted

Hi jabber ive seen my doctor its a symptom of anxiety or panic attacks not to say its not scary its awful who'd ever think anxiety could cause so many symptoms
    • Posted

No not sure but unless ppl have been through it they'll never understand and if it was a stroke you wouldn't be able to be on this forum I hate when ppl suggest the worst rolleyes
    • Posted

I agree if I didn't know it was a symptom of anxiety that mini stroke comment would of sent me into a massive panic attack and I'd most likely of gone straight to the er people have to think before writing things
    • Posted

I thought mine was lol then I calmed down but geeze lol ofc we tend to think the worst what did the dr say about treating derealization ? smile
    • Posted

Lol same ive been to the er so many times its so hard not to go in when I develop new symptoms of anxiety but im embarrassed cause im sure they see me coming :-) . My dr said im subconsciously using dissociation to avoid past events in my life that are to painful he said its actually a good thing because its a way my brain is protecting me from more stress. He said with time we can try and make me remember past memories and ill deal with them and not dissociate because I grew up in domestic violence all my childhood into adulthood i learnt to use dissociation to cope with my family situation i cant remember anything of my childhood so he said i dissocitated at a young age so my therapy will be about learning to deal with what I witnessed and dealt with. I didn't even realise I had dissocitated from my childhood untill he told me thats what ive done i thought it was normal to not remember your childhood. So pretty much until the constant anxiety is calmed down the depersonalization or derealization or dissociation can keep happening which is good news for us especially when you start therapy
    • Posted

So basically it stays around till the anxiety is dealt with ? rolleyes I do notice when I stress it gets worse I hate it so much sad
    • Posted

Yeah it will stay around until the anxiety is calmed down i seem to have it worse when stressed Or sleep less
    • Posted

Umm, i WAS thinking actually and Ive HAD a mini stroke before-2 actually and in both instances my brain quit working for a second as well as my motor skills. I could tell something was wrong, but like you said my brain too was like frozen and i couldnt even think of what could possibly be happening to me . So for all of you who think i was being insensitive, I was just trying to be helpful from what I knew from my ownvexperience- i wasnt trying to assume the worst and be like "oh youre stroking out and youre gonna die". My mini strokes were over 15 yrs. Ago and Im fine so I dont see how that is assuming the worst. Im sorry to have seemed blunt or callous but from your short description of what was wrong it kindof sounded like what happened to me.
    • Posted

I never said it was a stroke, and ive had 2 mini strokes and I am on this forum so unless you have had one, dont assume that they make you incapable of functioning or being able to participate and communicate on an open forum. You think I was being insensitive? What exactly did you mean by that? " if it was a stroke you wouldnt be able to be on this forum" Its a pretty rude comment and very offensive to say the least.
    • Posted

Hi jabber im sorry I jumped the gun ive taken it wrong what you wrote please accept my apologies sorry I upset you
    • Posted

okay I've read a lot of people say if it was a stroke you wouldn't be able to be on here meaning you would be too ill to type which in sure they meant to reassure people like us with anxiety so excuse me for trying to help Allison not stress more then she already is apologies you had mini strokes doesn't mean everyone on this site has I'm just saying it doesnt help us when you post things like mini strokes like Allison said if her therapist didn't say it was derealization she would of had a panic attack and ran to the er because of what u said that's all...
    • Posted

But now what if it HAD been a mini stroke and i didnt say something and something happened Id feel terrible. Surely shes strong enough that a few spoken words from a complete stranger wouldnt land her in the ER!
    • Posted

she clearly said she would of rushed to the E.R so I'm assuming if it wasn't for her therapist she would have I. don't blame her
    • Posted

I'm not trying to be rude I'm just saying anxiety is the worst it makes u think the worst that's all
    • Posted

Well mini strokes arent that uncommon and if she was having one the ER is the best place to have it! Anxiety can be controlled with relaxation and determination. We cant help how we feel, but with a split seconds thought we can help what we are thinking. Imagine the funnest day you ever had at an amusement park and being strapped into your favorite ride....imagine the smell,...the sound of the ride as it started....see?
    • Posted

hi allison. ive got all those symptons. been worse this last week or 2 do u wake up with morning anxiety? i do nearly every morning i wake up feeĺing panicky. then when i get out of bed i feel sorta brain foggy and spaced out i think its to do with an adrenaline rush but im not sure its scary and for the rest of the day i wait for the worst to happen
    • Posted

Hi Elaine i do wake up with anxiety its a great start to the day hey, does your brain feel like its stopping at times its a very strange feeling
    • Posted

hi allison. yes i do sometimes i feel so wrapped up in this brain foggy feeling i think im losing it and i freak out thinking ill never ever be my old self again which freaks me out more adding on to the dr which i always have jus lately especially when walking outside my safety zone. its real scary i feel im gonna faint or pass out also ive been hyperventilating alot lately. have this ever happened to you?
    • Posted

Yes ive had all that my vision will also go hazy when it happens to me i also think im losing my mind its super scary. I hyperventilate also which sometimes turns into a panic attack God this anxiety is absolutely horrible
    • Posted

yes it is. are you on any meds? my dr put me on citalopram after 3 weeks i came off of them i couldnt tolerate the side effects. made me feel worse. i googled my symptons jus after this so called ear virus about 9 months ago and guess what came up? accoustic neuroma. that scared the wits out of me making me worse. since then ive had alk the cancer symptons 1 after the other. they never stop. what about you?
    • Posted

Im not on any medication ive used luvox im the past many yrs ago and it really helped my ocd was on it then for about six months that was in 2008 i was put on the luvox again in January but I didn't handle them this time around so came of them after a week or two. Valium helped me during my worst anxiety in January. I have illness anxiety and ocd so my main problem is fear and obsessing about having or getting a illness my last obsession was that I may be phycotic or schizophreninc untill i saw a psychiatrist now im mostly at piece with this fear, over the many years ive thought I had heart problems, lung disease, blood pressure issues, brain problems, liver probems, arteries blocked, multiple personalities and probably more but can't think of them all ive always been called a hypercondraic and ive been kinda laughed at because of this but its never been a joke for me people honestly don't understand how life stopping having this is the anxiety it brings is non stop. Im hoping by seeing this psychiatrist i can finally stop this non stop cycle of obsessions and anxiety. Are you seeing a dr or therapist

• Posted

no mine started with morning anxiety and dizziness and nausea which dr put down as labyrhinitis cos i had tinnitus in 1 ear. ive suffered anxiety most of my life especially health anxiety. cancers. physical symptons 1 after the other appeared after that damn ear virus and is still with me today. i too am a hypo cos all day long im looling for my symptons on google and of course always 1 kinda cancer fits my description ht goes on and on from this direase to that disease and it never stops theres always something there and its driving me mad. this thought of deati is making me scared to live. are u the same??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.