Is this normal for rotator cuff surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

7 weeks ago I had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, reattach the bicep, spurs on the ball joint and scraping arthritis. I can't close my fist on that hand and my fingers hurt so bad. It seems that it's getting worse for the hand but my therapy is fine and I do it twice a day every day for my shoulder. No pain pills except for advil as needed. Does any have these issues with their hand?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

you feel many changes and different types of pain and discomfort throughout the recovery after SHOULDER surgery.what i think from my experience is, they only remain for few weeks or few days or even a month. but dont push the pain when you do exercises ( esp the sharp pain) . keep icing your shoulder. and just see a doctor if you are really concerned. normally, PTs dont have all the answers. good luck with your recovery 😃

• Posted

Thanks for the response. I hoping that I get the use of my hand back completely but since I haven't seen this as anyone else's issue I'm am concerned. So far I'm doing everything by the book according to my Dr. and PT.

• Posted

you will be all right. just follow DR and PT. everyones body reacts differently. just have patience!!! i had 3 surgries on my right shoulder and i am 31 YO. few months ago i met 65 yo lady in hospital who had the surgery on same day by the same DR and she was doing way better than i was. i really felt down but thats the way it is . everyone is different. JUST be pateint !!! GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi there. I had rotator cuff surgery 2nd July. The surgery went well but the thing that bothered me the most was my hand and fingers. I couldn't make a fist and my fingers looked like swollen fat sausages and tingles a lot. Also my wrist hurt and had restricted movement. I realised pretty early however that it was circulation as when my arm was out of the immobilzer and hanging down in the shower I could feel the blood rushing right down to the tips of my fingers ! For me everything hand/wrist related began to improve after 6 weeks and no longer in the immobilizer - it did take a long time though and persistence with exercises - right from post-op I continually squeezed stress balls as I was actually really worried about my hand and wrist. Everything is fine now! Are you in an immobilizer?

• Posted

Well after reading your response I feel that there is hope for full usage. I'm 74 years old and have been pretty much pain free in my shoulder except for occasional aching after therapy but that is short lived. Only took one oxy codone the night of surgery and will take an advil every now and then. My only real pain is my hand and fingers and wrist. Appreciate your comments and am hoping for complete recovery in the hand area.

• Posted

I had same surgery June 13th. My hand/wrist problems started after removed from immobilizer and therapy . I am still fighting it and developed RSD. Cant make a complete fist and wrist hurts badly. Have to get hand therapy now as well.

• Posted

That's a nuisance for you. My hand and wrist are fine but I have a post op frozen shoulder which is still restricting my range of movement and am still having physio. I was lucky - sort of - as I missed out the inflammation and pain associated with frozen shoulder and went straight to restricted ROM! To be honest tho, if this is as good as it gets, I'm still happy to have had the op as no shoulder pain anymore. Who cares if I can't reach above my head!😂

• Posted

I just came back from appointment with surgeon today. Had an MRI and reviewed it. After 7 months from surgery, i have a frozen shoulder as well along with arthritis. I have been given 3 options: 1. To have a shoulder manipulation under anesthesia which carries a 5 percent risk of a re-tear. 2. PRP procedure which is having my own blood shot into my shoulder and is not covered by insurance. 3. Continue therapy more aggressively as he is convinced it will ultimately loosen up even though could take as much as 2 years from original surgery. My ROM going upward has flat lined at 150 degrees which is putting it painfully by therapist.

• Posted

Well here's hoping we both recover from this hand thing. Did you have the block done before surgery? I was wondering if maybe that could have been a cause for this. My husband had the same surgery without the block and he had both shoulders done without this hand issue. Just a thought.

• Posted

Yes , I had the nerve block. My problem with my hand is i developed RSD after the surgery which became more of an issue after sling was removed and therapy was introduced. My hand/wrist not only hurts but is visually swollen. If you notice swelling or a shinny look on your fingers when you try to make a fist you may also have this. RSD can occur from any trauma injury or surgery and it generally effects the extremity from that area. Also damage to the ulnar nerve can cause hand pain , in particular if you are experiencing numbness as well. Pressure on ulnar nerve while in sling causes this. I am the lucky one to have developed both issues.

• Posted

Just give it time to heal. Lots of time. And be patient and good to yourself and not overdo, even if you start feeling better. Recovery from shoulder surgeries can vary greatly from person to person. Don't buy the whole " 6 month recovery" gambit all doctors like to mention as well as articles on line. Almost ALL surgeries are stated to have a basic healing time of 6 months to 1 year, and some people take more time than that and some less... The fact that you are off pain pills at only 7 weeks is great! Also, what many people do not realize is that just because we have surgery on the shoulder, does not mean other areas are highly affected by referred pain and limited functionality. The shoulder has so many nerves and neural pathways leading to other areas. Often the arms, neck, back, and hands are affected. I had severe pain in all those areas for a very long time. It has been 3 years since I had 2 repeat surgeries on the same shoulder 6 months apart. The first one was a determined to be a fail by a second surgeon as it was ruined 4 months into recovery just by sorting out paperwork in my home office. It was the repetition that did it, but still my repair should not have been impacted by it. And, I had 2 torn rotator cuffs that were not repaired at all the first time ( first surgery was a labral repair- SLAP repair-why the surgeon did not bother with the tears is beyond me! ) This all led to a second surgery. It is 3 years later and only in the last couple of months has my operative shoulder started feeling decent and it still does not function like a normal shoulder, so I can't type much nor lift more than 5 lbs max on the affected side. It hurts all the time, but I live with it since it is finally a bit better than before I had the surgeries. Even though I was told I still have another rotator cuff tear to be repaired, I refuse to go back for a 3rd surgery due to all the complications I had with the first two. I was on serious pain meds for months and am in chronic pain management now, years later. My other shoulder is now a problem as I recently dislocated it ( very painful!), and having the same issues as I did with the other shoulder initially so I am sure those fibers are torn there also . However, I am not going for surgery unless I can't lift my arm, literally. Watch out for overuse of the opposite shoulder you have surgery on! I checked out some medical report stats and there seems to be an overwhelming majority of people needing repeat surgeries and/or on the shoulder opposite the one surgically repaired to begin with. This is probably due to all the stress the other shoulder takes when healing. I only mention all this, due to the fact that complications can arise and healing can be as easily slow as fast, since multiple factors are involved. There is the reality and then there is the best case scenarios. You already seem to have the latter, thankfully, or you would still need pain meds. I also have an autoimmune disease, and neurological issues, so my healing process is much slower that with "normal" persons, so other factors in a person's health can affect the healing process. Most people are completely healed in 1 year. That is what my surgeon told me from the beginning to allow. Any surgeon will tell you to allow that amount of time for healing, give or take, depending on how well your body regenerates tissue and nerves. Many agree that shoulder surgery is one of the most painful & difficult recoveries, even more than knee surgery. I've known people that have had both, hence the comparison . Again, be cautious and be patient with the healing process. Best of luck and good healing! 😃

• Posted

Thank you so much for all the information. When I go to therapy or do it myself at home I stop when I feel any pull or pain. I guess I'm very lucky about the pain since I only took one prescribed pain pill the night of surgery and since then Ibuprophen /Advil is what I take if I need anything at all. I know that is a blessing but my hand is where my pain is. I exercise it and am hoping for the best. I really wish you well in your recovery and hope you are not offended but I'm adding your name to my prayer list tonight. Thanks for reaching out to help enlighten me about this surgery and recovery and how it varies on different individuals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.