Is this normal? What the heck is this? Random vertigo w face flush/sweating/heart race

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened to me the last few months (new symptom) but I'll just be sitting watching TV, for example, and I can feel it coming on things start to slowly move then I get flushed and shaky and my heart races and everything starts spinning.

Tonight I really felt like I was going to throw up - I still do. If I lie down, phew boy does everything spin! And forget about closing my eyes, that makes it worse. The flushed and shake goes away (I have horrible anxiety so maybe it's that?) but the spinning stays. Even focusing to write this is hard.

History (incase u wonder): VNG of brain was normal. Didn't get through the ear part I got sick. Hearing test was good. Echo/EKGs good. CT/MRI of brain good. Recently dx with small fiber neuropathy.

***Is this normal for vertigo? Mine would come out of the blue sometimes but never like this.

What the heck is this??

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

hi.....yes it could be very normal with vertigo........What kind of testing have you gone through???   What drs did you see???  Are you on any meds???  When you ge dizzy try I know its hard focus on one object anything even a spot on the wall.....see if that helps any
    • Posted

Thank u! I wrote what tests I've had up in the post incase anyone wanted to know.

I'm not on any meds for it. These attacks (I guess they can be called) are so weird compared to my usual vertigo! I feel a lot better but am still very vertigoy. They happen out of no where!

• Posted

sorry didn't pick up the tests that you had....but now I have  lol  I have been through it .........just from my experience doesnt sound like its coming from your ears.......I was told that it had to do with my brain that it wasnt making a connection with my ear   IDK   sending the right signal???  But I thought thats what the caloric test was suppose to show....that there was a problem with the brain.
  • Posted

In you last clinical examination, were your eye movements checked by your physician (which speciality)?  What were the findings, and the conclusion from your doctor?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

The VNG was normal for the brain part but I didn't make it through the caloric bc I got sick. Hearing was fine too. A nystagmus was not seen.
    • Posted

When the physician checked for nystagmus, did he or she put special glasses over your eyes to prevent you from focusing, or did he or she shine light into your eyes while in the dark?

• Posted

I wore goggles that recorded my eyes and their movements. I had the doctor that did the test tell me my results instead of waiting for my ENT.

I didn't wear glasses that prevented me from focusing and they didn't shine light into my eyes in the dark but the test that recorded my eyes was in the dark as they shined light on the wall.

• Posted

Taking all the findings together, it does not sound like you have either a central or a peripheral vestibular problem.  There is no nystagmus, MRI is normal and the audiometry is normal.  Your symptoms do not indicate that a very small part of the vestibular system is involved that may escape standard vestibular tests.

Clinical Neurophysiology

• Posted

I was told once, several years ago, by a highly regarded otoneurologist that it was a chemical imbalance.

Is that possible?

• Posted

If possible, do you remember the name of the neurotologist?

• Posted

ok was out all day  just got home  checking email now
    • Posted

Chemical imbalance???  meaning its coming from the brain??? Do you live in New York???  I had the caloric done, gaze, rotary chair, balance test, vestubular rehab, MRI, Cat Scan.......all was normal....hearin....saw so so many doctors they all said it was Migraines associated with vertigo MAV   was on these horrible meds......dangerous meds....presently weaned off of them except for one   down to a very low dosage......went to see this eye doctor the end of March......what a big big difference she made in my life........just saw her today......hoping these last pair of lenses does the trick completely....my glasses have prisms in them.....there are only two doctors at this point in the states that are trained for this....the are training more drs........again dont know where you live....it does take a week or so to get use to new lenses.......dont let them put you on meds before you read about them
    • Posted

I've had all those tests done too.

What are the lenses for? Migraines?

• Posted

My eyes were not working together to see an object   So they prisms help them work together.......  Even though they call it MAV i was lucky i wasnt getting any headaches....but they treat it like a migraine with all that horrible medicine......yes you can also get migraines where it comes from your eyes....thats my understanding
    • Posted

this dr I am talking about is in Garden City New York......Right across from Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall......Actually there might be someone in Pennsylvania    Give me a few I will get back to you

• Posted

got back to you but they said a moderator needs to check what I wrote  I guess because I put drs names in it or I asked you to google a dr
    • Posted

Can you private message it to me please? That might work.

Thank u for trying to help!

• Posted

Hi Hayhue......Is it possible for you to let me know how to send a private message.....don't know how to do it....I will not be able to get back to you until later tonight.......maybe like 6 or 7  
    • Posted

Where it says you replied to me, on the right side, click. the little envelope next to my name.
    • Posted

I sent you a private message...Hope it went through

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.