IS THIS PANIC ATTACK OR WHAT HELPPPP

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi guys, first of all im 22 yrs old, female and i think i had my first panic attack 6 months ago and since then my life is not normal anymore. everyday i feel breathless, scared, and sometimes i felt suffocated most of the time. i also feel scared to sleep at night since then. just few days ago, my dad had passed away andsince then i feel nauseous, short of breath, suffocated and feels like dying. i really dont know what to do. i even wake my mumy up and went to the emergency at 1 o'clock in the morning. i even fo the ecg test and my lung and hearts all is normal. when i told the doctors about my symptom they just dont know how to diagnos it and simply said that it is gastric. and now i feel scared and worries all the time and dont know what to do and i just eat the medicine for gastric. so am i having anxiety or is it something else???? pls help meeeeeeeee

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

First let me say that I am truly sorry for the loss of your father. The symptoms you are describing: nausea, shortness of breath, feeling like your suffocating and constant worry are all signs of an anxiety attack. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a psychologist asap. Be sure to tell the doctor that these symptoms started after your father died. Often Anxiety attacks are first triggered by traumatic events. Best of luck
    • Posted

i really wants to consult a psychologist or councellor but my mom wouldnt let me because if im a mental illness patient then i will have a terrible future where no one wants to hired me for job due to my history
    • Posted

Your mom is wrong.  Work can not discriminate against  you for having a mental disorder or had one, etc.
    • Posted

but when i see the other doctor and tell him that i want to go to see a psychiatrist he also said the same thing and that makes my mom even against about it. i feel even worse right now because i have to cope it with myself and i dont even have meds that can control my anxiety.
  • Posted

I'm sorry for the loss of you father. Everything to me sounds like anxieties and panic attacks 

Have you ever been on meds for anxiety you should talk to your doctor about this 

• Posted

no i have never been on meds for anxiety so it is really difficult for me. i've been to a doctor that told me it is anxiety but all he gave me was meds for angina.
    • Posted

You may try seeking counseling.  Try talking to a school counselor possibly, especially if your mother is not going to assist you with seeking mental health.
  • Posted

Hi,Poor you! OK it's Anxiety! you will not die,but you need pampering.Eg a relaxing massage? How about Reflexology? Listen to relaxation music.Make time for yourself! Your local health food shop should be able to help.They have lots of things to help with Anxiety. Hope this helps.regards Amanda h
    • Posted

thanks amanda. i did ask my mother to go to spa, refelxology and even avupunture. i also ask her to take me to some hypnotism or something to make me forget about my anxiety. but apparently my mother thinks that my anxiety is just a normal thing and is not that fangerous so she just ignore me. i feel so helpless and scared all the time sad
  • Posted

I'm so sorry about your dad. The symptoms you have described are some of the most common anxiety symptoms. Your brain can make you believe that anything is happening to you. Every person I know with anxiety experiences shortness of breath, nausea, and more, even when they're not having a panic attack. One of my biggest symptoms is I feel like someone is choking me, like I have this really strong tightness around my neck. It scares the hell out of me. If you've been to the doctors and they have told you that nothing is wrong, believe them. If you've had the tests done, believe them. You're okay. And gastric symptoms are so common in people with anxiety. Everything is alright! I suggest you try some meditations or maybe consider therapy for your anxiety. Best of luck!
    • Posted

sometimes all i can do is think about dying and when i start thinking, i cant stop. actually the breathless symptom occur even before my father death but i think it become worser after it. i also thought i have anxieties but i seldom have heart racing symptom. all i do have is breathing discomfort, feels helpless, chills, sharp pain at chest, numbness, tingling, nauseous, lightheaded and most of the symptom i have them all the time.
    • Posted

hi wan nur..im like you too..i seldom have the racing heart too..mine is mostly like yours..just that my chest is sore all the time and i have to be careful of my movements and position to not worsen it. im 23..had my first panic attack 8 months ago..had blood test done and 5 ecgs and docs check my heart and lungs they said its healthy..the doc were very confident im 100% fine after looking at my ecg..and the doc who took my blood test told me its safe to say im in a pink of health..and i recently had a cervical pap smear and its negative too..i do have lightheadedness alot too..and the sensations in my chest..not always sharp sometimes its just odd sensations that cant be describe..its not painful but somehow its provokes fear in me..sorry to hear about your dad..
    • Posted

i also had gone to many doctors everytime i feel like it is hard to breathe and there will also a choking feeling and every single time the doctoe will say my heart, lung, blood pressure is all okay. however im still not convinced with it because i also feel some chest pain where lately it is on the left but i also had done ecg and it turned out to be okay too. lately when i was playing piano tiles game on my phone i will feel lightheaded and then nauseous. is this also due to anxiety?
    • Posted

hi..as per my experience it is normal to experience such things with anxiety..innitially with anxiety i have alot of those nauseous and lightheadedness..sometimes i will even feel weak in my knees..its worse when im looking at something moving like tv and hp..so i guess maybe you should put on some aromatherapy frangrance that is relaxing and close your eyes and relax..best to do before bedtime..and slowly let yourself fall asleep..this will also relax your muscles and hence will result in a well rested sleep so when you wake up the next day you will feel much better..you'll be just fine dont worry..have faith
  • Posted

Hi there, I am experiencing the exactly the same as you. It all started last wednesday in the evening where I started to experience a shortness of breath, I couldn't sleep, felt like I was having a heart attack. In the end I decided to call for an ambulance, they do an ECG on me but then decided to take me to A&E to do some blood tests and x rays, everything came back as normal. However since that experience, I feel as I am always aware of my breathing, I watch television, then I have to gasp for breath. Do you feel you are experiencing intrusive thoughts? loss of interest in things you enjoy, not talking to anyone? not being able to laugh and joke?
    • Posted

yeah! i also feel exactly the same like you do. sometimes when people is joking around me i cant find it funny and laugh because it was hard enough to breathe. and then when i didnt talk too much because i feel breathless i will feel scared that people around me will think that im weirder than usual and that makes me feels like maybe this are the signs that im going to die and so on. i just cant stop feeling scared and think about dying.
    • Posted

hey gary i experience the same as you too..now its been almost 8 months..did blood tests,lots of blood pressure and heart rate and 5 ecgs that came back normal..i even went for urine to test for diabetes and stuff..lol..apparently everything is fine..my problem right now is just my chest muscles feels very sore every morning upon waking up and can last for the whole day on and off..anf i notice the pain only when i make some movement so when im still it feels normal..so that has stopped me from being active and alla..cause i dont wanna trigger it..im trying to find a solution to it now..my docs precribe me xanan and some muscle relaxant..i dont wanna have it so im planning to go for full body massage..dont worry if you did the checks means your okey..relax is key..stay carefree
    • Posted

This sounds very much like anxiety. Anxiety is as much as a disease as cancer and should not be left untreated. There is lots of things you can try before going to medicine. You can try vitamins and herbs and even talk therapy. You are not required to disclose to your job that you have anxiety/depression. That is entirely up to you. I never have told work. As long as you are showing up and being a good worker you will be fine. I know at times it is hard to get up and go when anxiety is controlling you but that is what sick leave is for! Lol jk. But the thing about anxiety is to find things to distract your mind. For example, I read. I can just get lost in a book and just forget about things. I also play meditation music. There are free meditation music on YouTube and you can even look into some anxiety meditation phone aps. I have one that has a lady that helps me relax and helps with breathing exercises and some visualization techniques. I am also on medication that helps. There are pills that you can take every day or there are pills that you can take just when a panic attack is coming on. If you are feeling lost about this I would recommend seeing a psychologist or psychitist. They are there to help and will work with you to help you find the treatment that works best for you. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You need to put yourself first and be sure you are healthy and happy and that all starts with your mental health. But being you are 22, you don't need your moms approval to go see someone. Dealing with this on your own is very scary. It took me a long time to get the help I needed but when I finally did I just cried because I was so relieved. It is amazing to find someone who understands and genuinely wants to help. It relieves so much stress.
    • Posted

thanks for your advice! i will really try relaxing myself a bit more. maybe i will try some yoga. however, lately i think my anxiety had become worsen where i feel like my nose is empty and dry and feels like i breathe too many air but still feels suffocated. then my throat will feels like there is something in it. my head also feel tense. is this anxiety symptom too?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.