Is this panic or hypoxia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay, so my main issue here is that I'm looking for some confirmation that what I am experiencing is truly just a panic attack. Basically my head feels kind of heavy and numb and I can't think clearly... I'm worried that people might mistake this as the way regular people will get a headache and say 'oh, I can't think straight!' or whatever... it's not that. I've never felt something like this before, it's extremley physical and there will be momments when my mind just blanks for a few seconds and I don't even know what I'm doing. Also, this isn't just a regular head ache, I feel a heavy numbness in the front of my brain, in the middle portion and in in my upper neck. My ears are also hurting after this, with a sharp burning pain and they feel like they are clogged up. I often see black spots, get dry/red eyes and dry throat. Hands also feel really weird... as if they were not really there. They feel numb/cold and they are really light. Also movement feels stiff and unresponsive.

Can someone please tell me if this is a normal panic attack? Today I didn't even feel 'panicked' I just felt disoriented (though I remember exactly what I did and where I went afterwards). I just felt like time slowed down and I'm extremley high on valium. (even though I didn't take any) I walked around outside for like 40 minutes and the sensations were on and off but the whole time I felt out of it. Right now my heartbeat just feels really uncomfortable... it's normal rate (63 bpm) but it's really strong beats and it feels 'muffled' for lack of a better word. The back of my head is also feeling numb. 

I don't know what to make of this... shouldn't panic attacks involve really rapid heartbeat and freaking out? I am relativley calm for the duration of the episode... I admit a few times I will just be weired out by my altered state of mind and panic for a few seconds but then it goes away. I'm just standing their normally, breathing deeply, my head feeling like its 2x heavier than normal and my brain feeling like it's moving at half speed. Is this panic or is this heart failure and am I getting episodes of Hypoxia due to lack of circulation?

Someone please weigh in on this,

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I should also add that I am relativley out of shape... get tired easily, fingernails are blue-ish color sometimes, I will get skin discoloration on hands and feet if I am upset at times; feet are not bloated and I do not cough involuntarily/spit up blood but I will occassionally get palpitations which make me want to cough. I have not been exersizing at all the past year but now these past few days I have started going on 3 hour long intensive bikerides; sometimes I will get sharp pains in the heart when riding uphill which is worsened if fueled by anxiety.. when resting/relaxing it goes away after a few seconds but I begin to tire after about 2 hours and sometimes have trouble making it back. Also, these episodes have become less severe these past few days but also more frequent... the numbness will just come seemingly randomly and last for 30 or so minutes. Sometimes I feel like my movement is bogged down, especially when I think about it.
    • Posted

My panic attack my heart usually pumps rapid and hard. Sometimes palpatations. I feel kind of disconected yet my mind is spinning. Sometimes feel like im going to hyperventalate,though ive only done that once. Sometimes will get some ponding feeling in the head. Can feel offf balance. And get that feeling at times like the hair is standing up on your head. Feel slightly out of breath.
  • Posted

I also have these feelings my hr would go to 140 just standing. I went to a cardiologist for heart test I found out through a tilt test I have P.O.T.S I was miss diagnosed for yrs. It's a rare Syndrome. Not saying you have it or trying to diagnose here.Just stating that your symptoms are similar to mine.You can Google it and look up the symptoms. I hope you feel better soon.Prayers smile
  • Posted

Have you gotten checked by a doctor?? If not you really need to get a full physical done to see if a physical symptom is causing this or if it's more mental.
  • Posted

Go and get a full medical at the doctors let them diagnose if it is an illness or anxiety
  • Posted

right hypoxia is lack of oxygen in the blood because you are not breathing properly. If you have breathing problems not caused by anxiety then get an O2 check using a pulse oxomiter on your finger.  A healthy reading is 95-98% O2.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.