Is this par for the course after 8 months?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi folks

Just been reading about clunking of the knee from another poster. I have had this from the start . Otherwise I think I have been doing quite well. Go to gym,swim,can walk a reasonable distance unaided. But I can still feel the knee. Sorry if this is petty but is it normal to feel small amount of pain after this length of time. Will it still be healing? Or is the clunking,a feeling rather than hearing,a sign that the knee will deteriorate more quickly than normal? I have thought about getting an x ray through my Westfield insurance. Any thoughts appreciated.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nothing is petty when it affects you as an individual. A lot of that stops as you continue to tighten up sit tissue
  • Posted

I too have been thinking about that other post!

My revision TKR is coming up to 9 months - both of them clunk clicked for England. The 2nd surgeon, who took out the misaligned knee, said it was par for the course, & in time, I would get used to it. I am begining to worry now tho, as I still can't stand for long (cooking/ironing etc) without pain & severe stiffness, & whilst I have tried to go without painkillers, I just get too grumpy when it hurts, so to save my marriage, I'm taking them morning & night again (not too heavy, paracetemol & codeine)!!

I walk a lot now, probably about 3 miles per day, but ice & elevate straight after coming home.

I am 21 months post that 1st dreadful TKR which had to come out. My life has altered beyond belief.

I so wish I could turn back time - I would never, ever have gone ahead with it. The other knee is playing up, but I will just have to live with it. I see my surgeon again in 3 months, at the one year post-revision date. Meanwhile - I keep on clunking.............!!

• Posted

Whoops.....that's a lot of walking if you are pushing any part of it. Maybe try slowing down....making sure you are going heel, toe full bend. Nice and slow. Hydrate completely. When you think you've drank all the water you need just add a little more. If your urine is almost as clear as the water you are about correct. Pushing too hard is one of the biggest culprits of set backs. Balance is the key. Its like I was always taught in athletics...practice doesn't help if you are doing it wrong. Just back off for a few days and see what happens. There are no gold stars handed out in therapy

• Posted

Sorry to hear about that Veronica. Youve been through the mill love. I dont use painkillers but I definitely feel it when I stand/walk/drive too long. But Im afraid I agree with OFG inasmuch as 3 miles might be too long. Ive done 2,but only on occasion and not every day. I prefer to have a little walk in the pool and do the odd length crawl and a bit of floating. All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I know from my time on here that you have suffered more than most - so I appreciate your reply so much.

I walk slowly, & try to walk without limping & heel to toe etc, but I have put so much weight on from being unable to walk for that 1st painful year, I feel I NEED to walk. I have increased the distance week by week. It's actually standing for a length of time that hurts me the most. A TKR is a journey I wish I'd never taken.

• Posted

Hi Veronica. Oh you poor thing! Having to go through a revision TKR! I'm almost 5 months post op and still having a lot of pain and stiffness. I have to get my other knee done in the next year also and I am dreading it! Can I ask why they had to remove your first TKR? I wish you well with your recovery. Cheers from Down Under.cheesygrin

• Posted

Stiffness, "that swollen look", clicking and popping sounds, and more can all continue for 12-18 months...or more.  Source: my knee surgeon.  His quote: "What do you expect?  You have a mechanical device implanted in your body!"  No worries.  I'm 4-months out and have the same issues...I expect to have them for a good while longer.  If you're walking with someone and they comment "Do you hear that clicking sound?", just hit them with your cane.  No cane? GOOD!!!  Just show them the x-ray of your new knee and slap them upside the head with your phone...

• Posted

It is what it is.  I'll take the sounds over having to be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of my life any day.  Thank God that we live at a time when these things are even possible.  Right hip, four fused vertebrae and the knee...I've got about 4 1/2 pounds of titanium in me right now.  Feel like they're turning me into a Terminator.  Go ahead...shoot me!  If I'm lucky, the bullet will bounce right off!  In the next few years, I'll up the total by another two pounds when the other knee has to get done.  44 years of hockey will do that to a body.  Hmmmm....maybe I should be proactive and do a full-body adamantium transplant, minus Wolverine's claws.  Afraid that if I forget and pick my nose one day, I'll put an eye out...  

• Posted

Funny- I had a TKR 10 days ago. question. I still use a walker, my knee slips a little and mild pain. What time frame should I expect to walk normal?
    • Posted

OMG! 10 days and you only have "mild pain"???? Go buy yourself a lottery ticket my friend! The Gods are smiling on you! Keep up the good work! cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.