Is this part of IBS?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi there, i was diagnosed with IBS a year and a half ago. than i got pregnant and my symptoms disappeared completely for the entire pregnancy and up till now. so almost a year without any symptoms. but now the symptoms are completely different to before pregnancy (if it is IBS)🤷.

can IBS cause pain around the hips? feels like pressure/discomfort. also i am one week constipated and the next i am going very lose (without any change of diet). but my concern is the occasional "around the hips" discomfort. any help/advice/tips would b very welcome.

thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi auscion, i think this is maybe more child related. It is possible your hips have altered after having the baby. IBS pain is under the belly button mostly but can cause problems further up. If you now have your periods back it's feasible the pain is related to that, but i'd see your doctor. There is a babycentre website, where people may be able to help you more. Do you nails break easily, do you feel completely exhausted (i know you have a child), but i mean more than usual. I would really speak to your doctor. Good luck, tricky one!

• Posted

You can get pain just about anywhere with IBS including your hips; I had this. Hormones can influence IBS and IBS symptoms can change. Since you have been diagnosed with IBS, I would not be concerned or worried because your doctor is the expert. Anxiety makes IBS worse. Try to stay as calm as possible, try anti spasmodics, lots of fruit or a laxative for constipation, and Imodium for diarrhoea/loose stools. Bowel habit change with IBS can occur without change of diet. My IBS pain and bowel habit change comes on with stress alone and not diet. Everyone has different symptoms What helped me was accepting my diagnosis, trusting my doctor and not worrying about my symptoms.

• Posted

My IBS used to feel worse before and during my period. This is quite normal for IBS. Pregnancy also involves a change in hormones both while you are pregnant and after childbirth. The fluctuation can aggravate IBS.

• Posted

hi...interested in the fact that your ibs went during pregnancy. ibs type symptoms can signal underlying auto immune disorder and often symtoms of ai disorders get better during pregnancy. why I don't know but often women have a remission possibly because hormones released help the immune system. the pain you refer to I have often. i have an ai disease which causes arthralgia and hip pain was very common for me. Have you had blood tests done and if so have they looked at esr crp or ana. all inflammatory markers which can indicate an underlying problem. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.