Is this plantar fasciitis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all, I have been suffering with pain in my feet on and off for the last  two years. My doctor diagnosed pf but I'm not so sure. Everything I've read about pf is pain in the heel, mine is more around the whole foot top and bottom and I get sharp stabbing pains in random places even at rest, my pain is in both feet at the same time and one is not worse than the other.the pain lasts all day and is particularly bad if I've been sitting for a while and stairs are very difficult.ive taken anti inflammatory tablets which took the swelling down but pain is still there, can anyone help and do you get it in both feet equally?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone, Just an update, I saw doc this morning, he is convinced it is nerve pain, tomorrow I am having blood tests and some tests to check blood flow in my legs. He is also booking me for an MRI scan on my back. He prescribed Gabapentin 3 times a day. At last hopefully will find out what's causing this.

• Posted

It sounds like you are on the right track. 

Other things you can try are magnesium ( very important ), arginine, carnitine and OTC GABA ( instead of Gabapentin) and a good probiotic.

I suggest taking all or most of these initially and see if you experience any improvement and then eliminating one or two and waiting a while to see if anything changes. If no change, you can live without it but if you revert, add it back and try eliminating something else.

I would caution all the people commenting on this site to realize that there are no absolutes. Everyone is different, like snoflakes and fingerprints, we have different body chemistry and anatomy. There is no BEST or worst treatment and no BEST or worst medicine for everyone. It there was, there would not be so many alternatives. The information on this site is very helpful and each person's experience is important but understand that it is anecdotal. You should share your experience but understand it is your experience. It will likely help someone but not likely everyone.

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your advice, I trawled the internet looking for symptoms until finally joining this forum,  you have been very helpful.
  • Posted

I am no medic but having had PF on and off for many years looked up things about the foot. It seems to be the most complicated mechanical structure in the body with 26 bones (a quarter of all bones in the body), 33 joints and more than a 100 muscles, tendons and ligaments. It can also take over 50 tons of pressure a day in walking and stair climbing - little wonder that things can go wrong with it!!

As I have said in previous posts, factors affecting the foot can be quite different from person to person and there are no magic bullets or universal treatments. I sometimes suffer from similar symptoms to yours in that my foot feels as though it has been run over by a car or bashed with a hammer, with associated tingling and needle shot pains. However luckily for me, this can often simply just go away.

If you are in the UK there was on BBC i player a programme with dissection of the foot and explanation of how it works - not advised to watch for the squeamish of before dinner.

Hope you manage to find some solutions and relief and are able to enjoy Christmas.

• Posted

Thankyou, that's very helpful, I will definitely look up the programme

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.