Is this plantar fasciitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been having heel pain for about a year. I’m not an athlete, my only exercise is biking/scooting to work for couple of miles each way.

My symptoms:

1) My pain is acute when I’m walking or resting after walking. I don’t have pain when I wake up in the morning.

2) My pain points are at the back of the heel. Also on the outer edge of my foot towards the back. I don’t have any pain under the arch.

3) I feel the pain most when I lift off my heel to roll over the ball of the foot. I don’t have any pain when I stretch my toes backwards.

4) X-ray shown some bone growth near the heel.

Please advice if this sounds like plantar fasciitis or something else. 

Thanks,

Krishna 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Krishnar 

This doesn't sound like pf to me. The heel pain is usually present after resting i.e. stepping out of bed and it eases off as you walk. I'm not a medic so best to see what a medic thinks. Hope you find the right diagnosis soon. 

• Posted

Thanks. Yeah I don’t have the symptom you described which is what is puzzling to me.
  • Posted

I have similar symptoms to you. Went to see a very good podiatrist and he thinks it’s Baxter nerve entrapment. Given custom orthotics. Waiting for an ultra sound and depending on results I’ll be given a guided cortisone injection. If that fails a small operation. 
    • Posted

Good luck with your procedures.  Looks like you found a good podiatrist.
  • Posted

What’s the doctor say?  Doesn’t sound like pf. Pf hurts when you get out of bed. Feels like you are stepping on a nail and hurts after long walks.  Usually gets better as walk on it more in morning but always there. Growth sounds like a heal spur, that’s something different. My feet look perfect on X-ray. But X-ray don’t see connective tissues 
    • Posted

My podiatrist concluded in a few seconds that it is plantar fasciitis. Then I challenged him regarding the location of pain and the fact that the pain is worst after walking, not immediately after getting out of bed. (Although I do have some pain after getting out of bed, just not the back of the heel pain). Then he said there is a chance it could be Tendonitis. Not very happy with his diagnosis.
  • Posted

Hello,

Sounds like you could have PF.  Most of the pain will be centered in the heel area, but not always.. as my pain is generally located in my entire foot.  PF is really a drag to deal with.  If you want to be sure, maybe going to a foot doctor would be a good idea.

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Hi again,

Just remember everyone has different symptoms.  Those of us who are experiencing PF do not always feel the same thing.

For one thing, I have my good/bad days with PF.  Just curious, are you overweight?  Because I have read that being overweight can be a contributor to PF.  I am a little, but am working on shedding some of the extra pounds currently.   Good luck and hang in there, I would think PF would go away eventually.

• Posted

I am slightly more than normal BMI, working on shedding the extra pounds. Good to know that weight affects PF.
    • Posted

Yes, it makes sense that extra weight would affect PF. For the main reason that you are putting/holding extra weight on your feet. One of the reasons why they hurt, they work hard to hold that extra weight.

I have been currently writing down what I have been eating every day and of course exercising when I can too.

Take care..  Aimee

• Posted

Hi Krishna,

Certainlt does not sound like PF as I know it but there are many forms of it and as many cures but the common one that does help is cushioning the heel with gel heel pads or insoles. One form of pf is called policemen's heel which is above the heel rather than in front of it like standing on a nail.

One common cause is tight calf muscles due to age or lack of exercise so there are many exercises you can try to stretch the calf muscles and take the strain off the PF tissue.

Swimming is a very good exercise to do as it does not involve putting any weight on the heel and cycling is another for the same reason.

Only wear trainers or walking boots with gel pads in if you walk far and avoid sandals and flip flops and walking barefoot.

These things should help what ever the problem is unless it is an injury which only rest will cure but a boney growth will not help particuly if it is a heel spur that will need an operation.

• Posted

Thanks for the tips. I took to cycling in the last week and it was such a relief. I’m able to exercise without pain. Even better, it seems to give some temporary relief to my heel, possibly due to a lot of stretching going on as I’m pedaling. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.