Is this pleurisy??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I'm 22, male & recently quit smoking two weeks ago. My symptoms crushing chest pain, difficulty breathing to the point I think I'm suffocating. Chest feels cold/like its burning also sensation is in my back. Sharp stabbing pains through out back & chest ribs as well. Sore feeling in back & chest even though I haven't done any activitys. Shortness of breath seems to be on & off but sometimes is constant. Thank you very much in advance would love to hear what you guys think. Doctors have been no help! & only did an ekg & chest x-ray. This has been going on for a week.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It certainly sounds like pleurisy. It's very hard to diagnose because it doesn't show up on Xrays and CT scans. They can eliminate other possibilities, such as broken ribs or pulmonary embolisms. My pleurisy was caused by lupus (auto-immune disease), which is now under control with medications and exercise. My lungs feel almost normal now. But it took months to recover! I couldn't lie down without pain, and had to sleep in a reclining chair. You probably need some sort of medication to deal with the inflammation, but the medications depend on the cause. 

• Posted

Same here I got all those things then I give up smoking completely and it got worse a lot worse went to hospital thee times done bloods chest X-ray and Ecg and all came back clear feeling a bit better now than I was but still get shortness of breath gp said it could be reflux disease as apparently has same symptoms funnily enough took the meds for three week and  they did nothing so stopped them again and now I seem to be slowly getting back to my normal self 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.