Is this PMR flare or old back pain problem? I don't know what to do.

Posted , 14 users are following.

For the last week or so I have a lot of pain in my pelvic region and this morning I can barely walk.  As I have a long history of back problems, known as failed back surgery I just don’t know what sort of pain I have!!

About a month ago the back pain and PMR  were nicely under control and I was taking 10mg pred.

Under my rheumy’s instructions I started reducing the pred by 1mg on 1st August.

Stupidly I got carried away and started doing more challenging exercises, lost concentration and pulled a muscle in my back.

Over the last 2 weeks the pain has got worse. The muscle I pulled seems OK but I now have pain in my whole pelvic area and this morning could hardly walk.

I do not know if this is a PMR flare and I should increase my pred or a flare from my old problem.  The pains are not dissimilar but the back pain usually improves as the days go on this is getting worse.

I am very down this morning. The doctor doesn’t know the difference either and I don’t want to discuss it with him.

Would it be a good idea to go back to 10mg pred or even a little more and see what happens?  Would this completely mess up my pred reduction?

I just don’t know what to do for the best.

Thanks for listening and thank goodness for this forum.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh kate...you seem as confused as I am right now! If you read my posts, you can catch up w/my story. I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you other than to stay strong and stay connected!

• Posted

Hi Linda, ca you tell me how to find your previous posts. Maybe I am a bit dense this morning but I can't work it out!

• Posted

Hey kate...lol lol, not 2 worry, you're not "dense" at all! I tried to figure out if I could send u a link or something, and I just can't figure it out#Dense!! I think if you can jump on my comments or bette's or several others, you may be able to find the right site. Please let me hear if you're able 2 accomplish this. Luck!!

• Posted

As far as I can tell you can only search by discussion, but how you are to remember what you called your discussions I really don't know!!

• Posted

I believe if you go to a person's profile page (just click on their name) you will see their discussions.  It can take a bit of searching to find what you were looking for, especially if the person has been quite active on the forum, but it will be there.  

• Posted

Hi Linda, you click on Polymyalgia Rheumatic and GCA at the top of the page, then members. Then you find the member you are looking for and can list all the discussions that person has started. If you gave the information in response to someone else's post, unless you remembered who that was I don't know how it could be found!

• Posted

Your own profile will list all your discussions and replies.  So if Lynda replied to a post she might be able to locate the discussion by looking at her own profile.
  • Posted

I think that those of us who have more than PMR pain always have this problem of distinguishing which it is as  we  reduce. One of the few upsides to steroids is that they mask all the other discomforts as well.

Not long ago I said on here that if anyone comes up with an answer I'd be glad to hear it and someone replied that I'd be waiting a long time!

• Posted

BettyE, I think it is an educated guess. I normally if in doubt try Pred first, up and down in about 6-7 days. Then NSAIDS, we, I only have two choices! Stay active, positive and smiling. ☺️
  • Posted

Kate, if you were PMR pain free on 10 mg I would try the 10 or more. Feel the effect. If it does not stabilize the inflammation, then reduce quickly. We have to listen to our bodies. Good luck, think positive and smile. ☺️
  • Posted

Hi Kate,

I would go back up to 10 mg & worry about tapering once things have improved. There is no race to come off pred and since you can't distinguish what pain is what, I would give the steroids a go it's not going to harm you in the long run.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice.  I will keep on 10mg for a few days and see how it goes.
  • Posted

Your pred reduction will only work if you are still on enough to manage the inflammation that causes the symptoms we call PMR. If it is PMR you need a higher dose. If a higher dose doesn't help - you need better medical advice. 

And really - if you have PMR then you MUST modify the more challenging exercises. Or this will happen again if it is the PMR. There are no exceptions - we all have limits, we all have to learn those limits and we all have to stick within them. However frustrating it is.

• Posted

Agree with the others. My first PMR symptoms were in the groin area/upper thigh. Could barely walk and could not sit up. I am really doing well at 14 mg. I would definitely go back to 10 mg til you are symptom free. I am able to exercise some, but I know every time I push it.

Best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.