Is this postnasal drip?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I was on this site 3 weeks ago with abdominal issues, which have almost completely resolved now.

Anywho, my problem started the beginning of June. I was laying down one night, and had a sudden feeling of a lump in my throat, which was very random and came out of nowhere. Being the worrywart I am, I started researching what caused this(being a hypochondriac, I probably shouldn't have done this), and the results of diseases caused me to hyperventalate, earning a trip to the ER. I was told it was anxiety, and was sent home.

Long story, I went to the ER 5 times this month. Once more for the lump (along with shortness of breath), but mainly due to me developing abdominal issues (stomach pain and blood in stool--this was due to fissures). I was diagnosed with post viral IBS, caused by a cold I had 2 weeks prior to the start of all this, which my GI told would resolve in a few weeks and was put on low FODMAP diet.

Now, my lump in throat never did disappear completely. Some days it was worse than others, and would definetely get worse when I was about to cry (I was very depressed about my abdominal problems these last few weeks), causing difficulty breathing, as I felt it was choking me.

Back to the present, for the last week or so, my lump feeling progressed along with other symptoms; feeling out of breath, itchy throat with tickle that won't go, hoarse couch, mouth breathing (my nose is constantly feeling stuffed), feeling of mucus in throat (not same feeling as lump), thick saliva, constant headaches, a slight pressure in nose and eyes which I barely felt til today, and the one that bothers me the most, a pressure in my ears that feels like you need to yawn, but I honestly don't need to. I'm not that freaked out over this as I was with my abdominal issues, but still do get worried a bit when it's at its worse and having trouble breathing.

The lump feeling is right at the back of my throat, and when I checked, I had some bump at the back going down my throat.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and she told me it was postnasal drip. Gave me a nasal spray and Zyrtec. I just don't feel it is that, because I had postnasal drip before, but I had an awfully itchy throat with constant mucus leaking from my nose. I know shouldn't go against my doctor's word, but does anyone think it's something else? She told me my sinuses where pale and swollen. Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The bumps at the back of my throat where red forgot to specify.
  • Posted

Did you decide to take the medication they told you to take? I'm having the exact same problem but I'm not working at the moment so I can't really go to the doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.