Is this prostate cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just turned 38 and have been suffering with non bacterial prostatitis for about 4 years but on and off. A year and a half ago I had it for 6 months and was excruciating. PSA was 1.6 but it did eventually clear. Now I am right back where I was and the lower back pain and pain in the groin at times is terrible. Does this mean I am suffering from prostate cancer? Can't see a urologist for a few weeks and I am freaking out. Not peeing blood or losing weight or anything but just a lot of pain and not much I can do to get it to go away. Appreciate any advise. I do suffer from anxiety if it matters

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. All I can tell you in the absence of a current diagnosis is the following:

1. 38 is v v young for prostate cancer and therefore unlikely

2. Prostate cancer does not present with pain (or peeing blood or weight loss for that matter). It tends to take years until it metastasizes to bone. Only then is pain involved. Small cell carcinomas of the prostate might be a rare exception

3. Groin pain associated with lower back pain is more often than not a referred pain (ie not really in that location but made to feel as though it is because the nerve for that region is being activated).

I hope this helps. Your fear is natural but not based on a likely diagnosis.

Romney

• Posted

I agree with Romney, peeing blood etc. are not a prostate cancer symptoms.

I would go to your PCP to have another PSA test while this is going on. I would recommend a ultra fine MRI run on your pelvic region, if your insurance is good.

You may find that you have kidney and/or bladder stones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.