Is this real?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just had my DEXA results and at -4.1 T score and with two fragility fractures it seems I am classed as "advanced severe osteoporosis". Apart from throwing me into panic and terror for the future, it also puzzles me – I look normal, I am active (walk at least two miles a day) and am not in pain. Is this normal? Will I inevitably end up very bent and in constant pain? I am 74.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That t-score isn't good. But, a couple of questions. Are you quite small, slender or whatever, rather then solidly built? What were the fractures classed as "fragility"? I had one classed that way, but as my leg was twisted sideways in an ice-related accident and I didn't even fall, something was going to give so I've always contested the fragility classification. But my t-score wasn't as serious either.

Do you take Vitamin K2?

• Posted

I am very underweight (BMI 17.5) – I've always been slim but now I have an auto-immune condition that means I don't digest food properly. I broke my wrist in 2011 and suffered a vertebral fracture last November. I don't take vitamin K2 but might give it a try – I do take double-dose vit D but haven't seen K2 in the shops. Does it work, and why?

I just thought anyone with such a bad diagnosis would be bent double... I am fitter than most people my age.

• Posted

Vitamin K2 (not K1) directs calcium into the bones. This also means excess calcium is far less likely to get deposited in the wrong places, like onto the walls of blood vessels or in organs. If you google vitamin K2 healthline you'll find a reasonably good introductory article about this vitamin. it's a fat soluble vitamin but there is no known toxicity with it. The only caveat is for people on warfarin type bloodthinners. Although it doesn't affect the blood as much as K1 does it is best to be careful not to take too much. It's available in some foods which are now hard to come by in some places - like grass fed (never grain fed, not even "finished" with grain) animals, including dairy products, eggs. The supplements are made from a Japanese fermented soy called natto and it is Japanese research which pretty much confirms its usefulness in preventing osteoporosis.

Have a look at my story. Will put link below but if it's moderated google healthunlocked (all one word) my osteoporosis journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.