Is this really Acid Reflux i'm experiencing?

Posted , 101 users are following.

Hi, for the past 4 months I have been suffering daily severe symptoms with breathlessness, burning and pressure sensation in my back and chest, pressure in my throat which makes me want to cough, burping and most recently tiredness. These don't necessarily occur after food, i have the breathless and pressure feeling all day every day.

I went to a private hospital for tests under my medical insurance as my NHS GP couldn't give me all the tests i wanted for peace of mind as i'm an extreme worrier and after Googling my symptoms i was in tears! So 2 weeks ago i had blood tests, allergy tests, a CT scan on my heart and lungs, a lung function test and an Echocardiogram. I had the results last week which thankfully shows my heart is absolutely fine but i have mildly inflamed airways in my lungs and the doctor advised the most likely cause is Acid Reflux and this is causing the breathless feeling. The doctor has advised i take Lanzoprasole 30mg daily and a steroid asthma inhaler to reduce the inflammation for 3 months.

To be honest, i'm concerned that this isn't caused by acid only because most of the threads i have read on here are from people who only experience symptoms from food. As soon as i get out of bed and start walking around i start to get the pressure feeling in my chest and i've just had enough of it. Does anyone else have symptoms like me? I'm constantly thinking about what i could have wrong or if it is acid, what damage it is doing to me! I know it's only been a couple of days on the medication so shouldn't expect it to work straight away but can anyone tell me of any other self help medications that i could take to make it go away quicker? I'm really at my wits end and it's all i think about.

Thank you

10 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tinkerbell32

Like you I had and still have the breathless problem everyday, also burping, bloating and feeling something coming up my throat but I have no pain with it, also no chest pain. I also went through all the testing like you. The Lung doctor told me to go to an ear nose and throat doctor because he thought I had silent reflux, when I went the ent stuck the camera in my nose and down my throat and saw the pinkness right away, so I now take Prilosec everyday, it has helped quite a bit but I still have it some what. although the pinkness is gone. I have been taking medicine for about 6 months now. I m thinking of going to a gastro doc for other testing to try and figure out exactly what is causing this, I want it gone, I can't even drink a simple cup of coffee with out feeling really breathless. This all started for me about 1 year ago, right after I went off a 10 day water fast, I drank water only no food for 10 days so I know it had something to do with it

• Posted

Hey there Debra,  I wanted to ask you about your 10 day water fast as I do experience a lot of the symptoms your having...but do you have a slow moving digestive system? Was it difficult to go with out food for 10 days? As for me I suffer so much constipation that I find fasting for days actually makes me feel much better...
    • Posted

I am new to this site. So pleased to find people with same symptoms. Breathlessness getting me down as I also have COPD. Sitting here at 1.30 am. Can't sleep, chest burning Gaviscon doest
  • Posted

Hi Tinkerbell32, I had similar problems but mainly bloating and excessive belching that could last for days. I

Could normally get it under control by taking digestive enzymes with betaine hcl. Drinking water always made it worse. During a recent bad episode I had an operation for appendicitis. Post op a full week in hospital with no food and frightened to have even a sip of water because it would start the belching and the pressure made me feel so ill. Before I was even aware of the pressure building up I stated feeling really ill. At this time I was

Fitted with a gastric tube into my stomach. I discovered that as soon as I started feeling queer I disconnected the gastric tube from it's bag and using syringe to suck on the tube it relieved the pressure in my stomach. I did this to relieve the symptoms. When the gastric tube was removed I could take my digestive enzymes with betaine hcl and started to improve immediately. Within two weeks I had a really bad attack following taking ibuprofen for an inflamed knee. I went to Dr who arranged for endoscopy. This showed that I had an hiatus hernia plus some gastritis. I googled the hernia and found that Scottish researchers had created hiatus hernias in healthy volunteers by fitting them with a tight belt. I took lasoperazole for a few days for the gastritis. I now wear braces instead of a belt, eat little and often. Haven't had any bloating or burping or anything else since. Hope this is some help.

• Posted

Hey there galilee. I've had the bloating and belching just to mention a few. I would like to know why the docs fitted you with the gastric tube? I really need some relief and that sounds like it could help...
    • Posted

Hi, the gastric tube was fitted because I had just undergone surgery to repair three hernias, the result of an operation for appendicitis the previous year. I just used the opertunity to monitor my stomach juices. I found that I didn't have a problem with gas until the juices turned fro amber to green. Green as you know is bile. I figured that I was getting bile reflux because I was bloated. The bloating was caused by me not having my digestive enzymes or constipation caused by the pain relief I was on. I now make sure I take my enzymes with meals. Avoid constipation. If I do get an episode of gas ie belching I take a renetadine and a dry cream cracker. This works well for me. I also avoid all nightshade foods. And eat little and often due hiatus hernia. No tight clothing. Avoid fatty food.
    • Posted

Dear Gallee,

I see you also have problems with excessive belching. Did you get the exact cause ont his one? And do you also get a sore throat from this? Aeropaghie is one explanation, but that's not diagnosed at my case. But other possibilities my doc is not familiar with.

You alse have a Hiatus Hernia. is there a relation between this and the belching?

And did you get a surgery for this sliding hernia, or isn't that necessesary? And if you did, which one and did it help with the belching?

Best regards!

• Posted

Thank you both very much for your responses. I have some digestive enzyme tablets that i tried for a short while but gave up quickly because i didn't see results quick enough but will try them again and persevere along with my prescribed medication. Hot food and drinks seem to make my feelings worse and cause the burning sensation in the top of my back and i definitely cant have caffeinated drinks. I used to be an avid runner but since having this i cant run for anymore than 5 minutes without feeling breathless and getting burning in my chest.

i think mine started after i completed a 3 day juice diet. People warned me it wasn't good for me and just wish i had listened now! I will try and stop worrying that i have something wrong with me other than this and wish u both the best best in getting rid of your symptoms too.

• Posted

i am complaining of sore throat since march 2014 followed by common cold ,cough and sneezing with a little burping,i took some tonsil medicine and it was gone . but again after two weeks i got the same symptoms plus one morning i discovered a little chest pain and then vomitted twice just cough no food no water. i went to the doctor, he prescribed me omeprazole 20 mg once daily fr 3 weeks .which i have started taking one day back but i am really scared after reading its side-effect in the leaflet as my doctor didnt discussed anything before handing me the medicine plus i am on contraceptive pills because of pcod ,so i am afraid if it will cause me any side effect lately and also i am afraid of whole acid reflux thing ,is it that chronic disease please help me if one of you have recovered after taking medicine.
    • Posted

Hi Tinkerbell32,

I have all the same symptoms as you and have had many tests. The only think that showed was a small hiatus hernia.

I get terrible pain in upper right back near shoulder blade have you had this.

I too worry and paid for all my tests.

I am now trying osteopathy.

How are you now

Regards

• Posted

Hi I have reflux which it came on over 3 years I am at a peak ,I have had 

ct scan which brought up a lung situation which I received in the navy where pipes have got damaged and needed repair to asbestos hence a disease.

the reflux is the worst ,I now take a tablet in the morning for reflux at 7am it last all day it is 30mg of Lansoprazole capsules (gastro - resistant) it helps but doesn't cure at the moment . A drink to help is Aloe Vera juice  2 glasses 

One in the morning and one at night. Food not to be taken after 7-30 pm

only small amounts during the day , no milk food or drink ,fried food, no butter in other words no dairy products . More fresh veg ,fruit. Do not take any indigestion tablets when taking the lanssoprazole these you will not get without a prescription good luck to you

• Posted

Hi maam im suffering from hh as well as gastrotis esophagitis and my docs had put me on ezomeprazole 40 fr a week..thinking allopathy doesnt have a lasting spln to this o fpind a chiropractpr lady and in my first sitting itself i feeel my stomach has slid down significantly and i feel as if my heart n cheat has been unburdened...she says ideally anpther xouple of sittings are required..so ill be going again..pl try to find a chiropractor who specializes on fixong hernias..and as ive read abt other patients their otber xhronic illnesses also go away once this is taken care of..hoping for the best and praying to God for you and all who are in the same or qorse situation as me..warmest regatds to all..may God bless
    • Posted

Hi, this post is a little old but I have the same exact symptoms. I was told I have GERD. I am getting a barium swallow done on Wednesday. Did you ever find out what was going in with you? Do you still have it?
    • Posted

Hi.ya i know its an old post but when going on the net days over days i came accross your posts so just wanted to have sme feedback.well am not having it as before because i followed your instructions bout the diet and so on...and now am much better.i had a bad habit of sleeping a few mins later after my lunch...i stopped that also.but thank god am really much better.am having a control over my foods stuffs and the way i have been eating ect...you wont believe it...but 1 friend told me to eat chewing gum often it will decrease the acid reflux an am doing it.anywaz nice you revert.thnks.
    • Posted

Barium swallows are a waste of time.  I had 2 of them, and on the last one it shows all perfect, no reflux, no nothing.  1 week later I had an endoscopy and it showed reflux (maybe from bile), barrets.  Gi's can't even tell if the reflux is from acid or bile.  Sure, I had to remind them my acid levels are normal so is probably bile, and they still don'

t know what to think. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.