Is this really chilblains?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with pernio/chilblains, but what I have doesn't seem to match what I'm reading here and the descriptions on the web.

I get the red nodules described, but also more widespread swelling on my toes. While cold -- specifically, below 20 degrees Fahrenheit cold -- triggers it, it continues to spread. For example, I stayed home because I had swellings on my toes and on one finger, and after 36 hours I got swelling on two other fingers, despite not going outside at all. The only cold exposure was opening the freezer, which I do every day.

The swellings don't ever itch, but they can be extremely painful. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

same here, its raynaud syndrome! our body freezes and is warming by itself ☺
  • Posted

Sounds like Raynauds to me as well Linda. I've suffered since I was a child (I'm now 61) and last year I decided to speak to my GP as before I always thought it was too trivial a thing. Anyway I had blood tests and have now been prescribed nifedipine. The chil lain I had in August very quickly disappeared and up to now I've not had any more. Take care and keep warm.
  • Posted

Interesting, thanks...I have Raynauds as well as erythromyalgia. But with my Raynauds' reactions I just get pain. These swollen areas persist for weeks, which is why I think they were diagnosed as pernio/chilblains.
    • Posted

raynaud causes chillblains.. i got huge painful problem in fingers and toes... they look like sausages... i try to protect them but they multiply.. just be patient, when summer comes they go.. its allergic reaction to cold temperatures
  • Posted

That sounds like my problem, indeed. I've been trying all kinds of folk remedies, as none of the medications help -- except Prednisone, and I don't want to take that all winter long as I have in the past. So far I've found soaking in warm water and Epsom salts brings down the swelling considerably and helps the pain. Also, Aloe Vera helps the pain but doesn't bring down the swelling. 

• Posted

hmm i trued aloe vera... it does nothing to me.... when i wake up i can't move my fingers.... my doctor told me to put them in cold water and right after in hot water.. it helps blood to move in veins. it helps a little. try it in the mornings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.