Is this really IBS? I'm so scared.

Posted , 8 users are following.

About 7 weeks ago I came down with what appeared to be the stomach flu. No vomiting, but I was bent over the toilet the first night because I was positive I was going to. I was in and out of urgent care, ER, etc. and told that I had gastroenteritis. They gave me an anti nausea med and sent me on my way. I had extremely watery frequent diarrhea for about 4 weeks. At that point I saw a GI who prescribed a probiotic (Align) that I have been taking every day. He told me he thought I had infectious enteritis and that I would get better. Soon after that, I started to gradually feel better but I wasn't back to my old self. During the first few weeks I was unable to eat most of the time and dropped 30 pounds in a month. Once I started eating again I gained about 10 pounds back, but I still wasn't really able to eat full meals. Not sure if I had a lack of appetite or if I was just afraid symptoms would return. I wasn't having watery diarrhea anymore, but my BMs weren't as they used to be... They are now more frequent, and usually alternate between very soft or pebble like and annoying to pass. A few days ago I went to the bathroom, had a very soft BM (very close to diarrhea) and noticed there was bright red blood on the tissue when I wiped. None in the toilet or my underwear. It terrified me so I made a doctor's appointment. My doctor said she thinks it is most likely hemorrhoids, but if it happens again to go back to GI. She also prescribed me Prilosec because I've had some upper symptoms and suggested I start the low FODMAP diet because this may be IBS. Since all of this started I have been gassy, bloated, feeling like there's a lump in my throat/chest, having irregular BMs and lack of appetite. I barely eat and I have started losing weight again which scares me. The weight loss has been rapid - 6 pounds this week. But I often eat one very small meal a day. I stopped the Prilosec because I suspected it was making my gas/appetite worse, I guess we'll see. But I'm freaking out. I also have bad anxiety especially around health issues so I can't stop obsessing over this. Someone please help, I'm terrified this is cancer or Crohn's. I'm only 20.

I've also had countless blood tests, stool samples, etc // all negative. I had an ultrasound and that was also all fine.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

First of all don't worry. Ibs is made a lot worse with worry. I would however say that it sounds to me like your stomach hasn't recovered. The lining can get angry and take a while to recover. Your stomach can be greatly affected by stress so try finding something to relax you. Also don't eat healthy. Try eating foods that aren't high in fibre, this includes fruit and veg. Fibre makes your stomach work harder. Also dairy can make you worse. Re the blood bright red is good. If it's anything to do with your stomach it would be dark red. Bright red means it's only bled recently in the process. Drink lots incase your kidneys are having issues with the toxins since you've been ill. Also think about buying symprove . It will put the good bacteria back in your gut which will probably have been killed by your virus. I am not medically trained so please seek more Dr help but this is just what has helped with me.
  • Posted

I hope you can calm down a little abbakabba. The first thing I want to tell you that the feeling of like there is a lump in your throat is a classic symptom of reflux acid. I know this because both my mother and I have reflux acid. You may have to figure out a bland diet to get your system back on track to find out what foods may have triggered this episode you have experienced. The blood from wiping may very well be hemmorrhoids. I have hemmorrhoids as well and they bleed from time to time, bright red blood is the norm for a bleeding hemmorrhoids. Sounds like are your tests came back good so far. So the first thing you need to do is try to relax and find something to calm you. Go for walk, read a book and calm yourself. None of us can have good digestion or eat food properly when we are all tensed up and freaking out as you say. The more worried you become the more your stomach will be in knots and you will experience gas and indigestions problems from swallowing so much air. Do you realize how much air you swallow when you are eating and are nervous when you are eating? Lots of air is swallowed and results in lots of gas etc. I hope you take one day at a time, find a good bland diet because you have to start over to get your stomach back to feeling comfortable and relaxed with the food you are eating. Hope you feel better soon. I am sure what you have will pass if you just start to relax first. That is number one medicine, relaxation and calmness.

Blessings to you

Lynn

• Posted

Thank you. I've been trying to stay calm but I have suffered from anxiety for years and having an unexplained health issue makes all my fears much worse. I have been eating bland foods since the beginning -- I was on the BRAT diet for over a month, started eating turkey burgers on wheat buns, scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, etc. for a week or two until my doctor told me to do the FODMAP. So I haven't been eating anything spicy/fatty/dairy/etc in what feels like ages.
  • Posted

Sound identical to how my symptoms started out. Go back to doctor & demand they test you for Rocky Mountain spotted fever/ Lyme disease. Have you been bit by tick ? Any rash? Not all people get the bull eye rash tho.
    • Posted

You can get it from Mosquitos to. I didn't remember being bit either. And i didn't get the rash. Any discomfort in base of skull? Joint pain?
    • Posted

No.. I'm a hypochondriac and this is beginning to make me worry more???
    • Posted

Try not to worry. Anxiety I've heard can also make you physically ill & cause aches & pains I've heard. Everything going on with you might just be from anxiety.
    • Posted

That is so true! I remember when I had work-related stress I got psoriasis (I think that's how you spell it) from it (horrible horrible skin condition that some poor folk cope with all the time, but not permanent in my case.) Your state of mind often can cause a heck of a lot of physical ailments. That said you should still see the doctor.
  • Posted

Don't worry about the blood quite yet unless it is really extreme. Hemmerhoids and just irritation from loose stool can cause raw rectal tissue to bleed. Keep it uppermost in your mind of course. Meanwhile, ask about a hydrogen breath test for Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth. Is your stool yellow all of a sudden?
    • Posted

No, it was kind of yellowish more toward the beginning but it's just light brown most of the time.
  • Posted

I am older, 64, but I know what you are going through.  I have always had a problem being constipated, but I do not eat the right foods and have to get back on track.  I have a lot of anxiety and stress and sometimes diahrea and then back to constipation, and belly pains, gassy, bloated.  I really believe stress does this and I obscess too.  At 20 I don't think you should worry about cancer but get a colorectal screening done, as it doesn't hurt.  Go see a gastro specializing in IBS.
    • Posted

Hi hope you see my message.... I am so scared I am 61 and having what doc says is acid reflux I am worried it is the C... I can't get it out of my head 24/7 errrr ant advice would be gratefully welcome... 

• Posted

It's taken me 6 years of nagging docs to get tests and I'm still fobbed off with ibs as nothing shows on tests! Keep pushing to get things ruled out, this will help your anxiety too. I think docs should run bloods, colonoscopy, endoscopy and MRI of abdomen just to rule everything out. I wouldn't worry though I thought and panicked mine was cancer and I'm still alive 6 years later! Still with pain and no answers though which is frustrating!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.