Is this really still reflux?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

I have probably had general acid reflux twice in my life but in august i started getting a weird sensation in my throat like a piece of food was stuck, but october it began to get quite painful and the pain spread into my ear. I had a very stressful year which became not stressful in december and i am back to myself

The doctor said it was reflux and put me on lansoprazole and I stopped drinking coffee and started drinking a lot of gaviscon

The sensation in my throat passed within 3 weeks however the ear pain continued to get worse, I have now had constant pain in my ear for over 3 months but no other signs of reflux at all, the pain is always in my left ear, most of the time like pressure but if i slept on the left side or just randomly 5 or 6 times a day it sparks unbearable pain for a few moments often spreading into my jaw like a dull ache

The doctor still says its heartburn, i had a camera down my throat but they found nothing, Ive started exercising 6 times a week refined my diet, still using lansoprazole and lots of gaviscon but its making no difference, my diet is very health and i have cut alcohol down to once a month

If I have coffee in the morning the symptoms dont get worse at the time but they do seem to get worse that evening, i could just be trying to fit the diagnosis but this just doesnt feel like acid indigestion and if it is am I going to have ear ache for the rest of my life or is there more I can do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you should see an eyes, ears, and throat doctor. (If you haven't already) Maybe the reflux triggered something else in your ear. I have heard that reflux can cause ear pain but if your throat now feels better you would think your ear should also.

Sure hope you can get some answers. Maybe someone else will have more in put.

• Posted

i have clogged ear for 6 months and initially it was with no heartburn but now i have heartburn...

• Posted

It sounds like the ear problem could be something other but perhaps irritated the reflux. Just a thought. Hope you get relief and find an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.