Is this RLS?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been having tingling in my legs for the last 6 weeks.  It never stops.  It's slight enough that I can't feel it when I'm moving but if I'm still, regardless of whether I'm sitting, standing or laying, I feel it.  It never stops, day or night.  I might get 10 seconds of relief after walking around for awhile, but that's the best I can hope for.  

Does this sound like RLS?  Or is this something else?  It's ruining my life because I cannot sleep.  I didn't sleep for even 5 minutes last night.  Nothing.  I have a ton of stress in my life and I don't have time for this.  

So far, here's what I've tried (with no success):  

I've been gluten free for 10 days

No alcohol

No caffeine

I take magnesium, iron, a B-complex, vitamin D, and an herbal sleep aid daily

I take probiotics twice a day

I drink kombucha

I avoid grains except for rice

None of the above has helped.  Of course, I have been under a huge amount of stress.  Just yesterday I was threatened/attacked by a homeless guy while walking down the street.  I can't seem to go even one day without some major stressful event that causes my adrenaline to spike.  

Oh, I should also mention that I saw a neurologist 5 weeks ago. He said I don't have Parkinson's or ALS, wrote me a script for a muscle relaxer (which doesn't work even a little bit) and that was that.  

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You've answered yourself whats causing your problems. Its stress and lack of sleep that's it. When we don't get enough sleep we get what's known as a sleep dept. Basically your body is tired so it starts to exhibit weird symptoms. You feel like your body and mind is going mad . But its all a just a lack of sleep. You need to give yourself a break . Your mind and your body switch off forget about the world and its worries and treat yourself to some lovely sleep.

• Posted

Nikki, I fortunately have a wonderful neurologist. She ran numerous tests and found a couple of things. I do have RLS as well as sciatica which starts in my back and runs down my leg into my foot.

First, my RLS was not tingling in my legs. My legs were actually spasming and jumping which prevented me from any sleep. For this she put me on Pramipexole (Mirapex). I am on a low dose (.25 mg in the afternoon then .50mg 1 he. prior to bed). This is the answer for my RLS.

Secondly, the sciatica created tingling and numbness in my right foot. She put me on Lyrica to relieve the pain. I still have some minor pain but it is markedly improved.

I wish you well in your dealings with your neurologist.

• Posted

Nikki, I have the exact same symptoms as you. For me, I discovered my “trigger” is alcohol. As much as I love wine, my symptoms would intensify to a nightmare point when I gave in to wine. If I abstain, the tingling is still there, but it’s very slight and hardly noticeable. Find YOUR trigger. 

It’s great that you have such willpower to have given up all of the above, but other triggers could be: stress, anxiety, caffeine, and diet/sugar free drinks. I’ve even heard kombucha triggers nerves, but I’m not sure about that one.

I developed the tingling on my calve/foot while pregnant with my son, and it’s been 10 years and never goes away. I just have to make it manageable by staying away from the triggers, mainly alcohol. One episode was so intense and so bad that my toes moved involuntarily for a whole night and day. I was exhausted, and at my wits end. That’s when I decided I had to make some changes!

I hope you find your triggers and bring some calm into your life. I’m a believer and praying and reading Psalms has done wonders!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.